Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Capt Bob LeMay

finger mullet - size 1/0

It's been a while since I did much with spun and clipped hair since I tend to avoid production work that's time consuming... Here's a pattern that I haven't done in years - on a Tiemco 600sp 1/0 hook (this hook style is a lot bigger than most hooks when compared next to the same size so it "fishes" bigger -if that's possible).

The tail is a pair of large webby bleached white saddles over a sparse amount of bucktail tied in just forward of the bend with a pair of grizzly saddles overlaid that are more than 1/2" longer than the white saddles. That sparse amount of bucktail that starts the tail also has 12 strands of holo silver flashabou tied in on top just before those white saddles.... I like to stagger the ends of my flash by offsetting each fold (two folds each staggered in length.... before tying in starting with 3 strands....). At this point a dozen strands of pearl flashabou is laid in on top of the feathers (staggered as noted for the first flash....). Next a medium sized "tail collar" is laid in and worked all around the hook shank to complete the tail.. The body and then the head are three clumps of hair starting with moose mane (sparse) then deer tail (from the very butt of a tail in natural brown) then deer hair dyed olive for the last spinning (just before the olive a wire weedguard is tied in place under the shank and left sticking out straight forward... Once the last bunch of hair is spun into place the tying is completed with two doubled half hitches and the thread (flat waxed nylon, Danville, in red) is clipped free. The head is then shaped with a new razor (a thin double edged razor is best for this - I snap them in half lengthwise with a pair of small nippers before use...). Once the head is finished a tiny amount of super glue is used on the thread -when it's dried the solid plastic doll eyes are attached with Fletch-Tite and held in place by hobby clamps (Irwin) until they set up (only ten minutes or so) then the clamps are removed and the wire is bent down into position clipped right at the hook's barb and then the end is slightly bent to finish each fly....

A great bug when finger mullet are around (if you can get the fish to leave the live forage....).

post-30940-0-61542200-1448045154_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-46030300-1448045168_thumb.jpg

post-30940-0-32724000-1448045181_thumb.jpg