Fly Tying
JAMAL

Does fly color matter?

I was always taught it was

1. pattern

2. size

3. color. Color being the least important.

steve

This is another of those questions, like, "What is the best food, ever?" You'll get a different answer from each respondent.

I've never done it with flies, but I have tried with rubber worms and floater/diver crank baits. Two rods, with the exact same lure on, with the only difference being color.

My test method was to fish an area with Lure A, then go through the same area with Lure B. Then I would go through the next area with Lure B first, followed by Lure A. So far, every time I tried, I get no noticeable difference in the number of hits on first or second lure choice.

I've also tried the same test with braided line vs. monofilament. Also, with this, I've notice no difference in hit ratios.

So, My own experience is: color matters only so far as to attract attention, it's all about contrast. The fish have to see your presentation. Movement, presentation and enough contrast to background, or within the materials, to attract the predator's notice.

I'm starting to get my gear together for my Canada trip, leaving on the 29th. One of the top rigs is a jig and worm or leech. They tell you to bring any color jig as long as it's chartreuse. Lures I sort through them and the ones that have teeth marks on them are the ones that go. They'r usually, some combination of silver sides, with black, light purple or green backs and fire tiger. As far as flies go. White streamers with some pearl or silver flash have caught me the most fish. Top water white, fluorescent yellow and fire tiger/perch. Crease flies, silver sides, with bronze, olive backs and perch/fire tiger.

Size at times matters, though the biggest pike I've caught on a lure was on a 3" mackerel pattern, and on the fly a 6" white streamer. Smallies tend to spit up bait and most of it is in the 2 to 4 inch range. So flies and lures to match.

Action, particularly when trolling lures or flies helps. I tie a lot of my streamers with spey hackle or schaplen hackle, and even when they're standing still they are "moving". Top water, it seems to be a combination of noise and action, for both flies and lures though I get a lot of hits when I pause either.

To sum it up, it's a combination of all three, you just have to figure out what the fish want.

hi, for bait fish only white and chartreuse work. I have try orange, the fish never touch it.

you can drop in a glass green bead on top of the hook. I came across a guy who just

put glass bead on top of the hook no other material added and it work.

My favorite "trolling" fly is the Renegade (or variation of). Over the years I have found that changing the color of the tag tinsel on them changes bite rates at different times of the year. Some days I noticed over a 30% change from one color to another...Everything else in the fly was the same. So they do respond to changes in color, but those responses seem to be time based.

My favorite "trolling" fly is the Renegade (or variation of). Over the years I have found that changing the color of the tag tinsel on them changes bite rates at different times of the year. Some days I noticed over a 30% change from one color to another...Everything else in the fly was the same. So they do respond to changes in color, but those responses seem to be time based.

that is interesting...thanks

hi, I lived in Singapore. Here there is a small group fly fishers and 1 fly shop in the country or island.

once we group up and headed to Pahang Malaysia fishing pond. why so far for a pond?

There, every cast hit a fish and I finish up 1 box of flies.