Fly Tying
BocaGrandefly

Best saltwater vise

I am interested in upgrading vises. I have the Danville vise and want to stick with a rotary. I live in tampa so I mainly tie saltwater patterns. Any thoughts on a rotary vise for larger flies? Thx

This is my personal opinion so take it for what it is worth. I do not own a Atlas Vice YET but it will be in my house within the year. My opinion is based on two friends who have purchased the vice and use them regularly plus the vices that go through Bass Pro Shops where I work part time. Reason I added the above vices are all about personal preferences

Anvil Atlas vice built bombproof, will hold 32 to 7/0 without changing jaws comes with pedestal and clamp base, made in the USA and has a lifetime warranty. All for about 150.

Down sides can be a bit rough turning right out of the box (goes away after the first dozen flies or so) have found a few rough spots on the Anvil Apex vices that could cut you but were easily removed with a bit of sandpaper have not seen the same problem on the Atlas vice but not as many have been through the shop.

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Have you tie with the nor vise before? I wasn't sure if you could lock it in place like a normal vise? On the videos he is always spinning it and using it as a true rotary.

You should check out the Peak vise. Great vise at a great price. Head over to Tampa Bay on the Fly where you can look at several great vises side by side. Enver owns the place and has a great knowledge base about the various vises on the market.

I would suggest a nor vise that's what I have. You can stop the nor vise at 4 different places and work on the fly. You can also get salt water jaws. My 2 cents

Love the Nor-vise. You can stop it at 4 pre-set positions, think 12-3-6 & 9 o'clock. Or change the tension for the rotation to work at odd angles. I find myself tying more, and my meager skills improving as a result. The bobbins have a bit of a learning curve, but I do understand and appreciate the concept behind them. Your standard bobbins will work as well. If you have any questions on them just call Norm, he's a hoot to talk to.

I too like my Nor Vise. After just a short time on it, I can't see myself tying on anything else.

Guest rich mc

i almost purchased a norvise years ago . i just came across a good used renzetti. i have several friends that like the norvise especially for making dubbin brushes. rich mc

I have the same question - have you made a decision? Very pleased with the Danville but need more "throat" for some of the bigger salt water flies.

I have heard that there is now a LAW VISE "look alike" being manufactured that doesn't come with the same ridiculous price tag - anyone have any idea what it is and where it can be found?

An older basic Regal pedestal was good for #20 & smaller hooks up to about #1 but wasn't nearly as dependable for #3/0 tarpon flies so found a Regal Revolution with saltwater jaws on sale which has all kinds of adjustments for fly tying. Mostly tie horizontal, but don't spin too much as feeding materials instead of eye hand coordination wraps is just another trick for an old salts bemusement.