Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kudu

Drew Chicone synthetic yak hair

I bought the book Featherbrain. He ties with this stuff and sells it. Has anyone used it? Is it similar to ep or Congo hair. I have a ton of Congo hair and don't want to buy this stuff if I don't have too. I'd like to tie some of his stuff and would like to sub with stuff I already have.

yak is way stiffer than EP/Congo Hair. It's crinkly, more like SF Flashblend but probably a bit stiffer. You can use the same hi/Low methods of tying as with EP and get some pretty cool looking baitfish patterns

I bought the book as well, and a bunch of yak hair shortly there after. Andy is 100%, it's stiffer, longer, and a lot like SF blend. I haven't had a chance to fish the flies I've tied, however, took them down to the lake and through them around the boat ramp. It's very translucent and moves well in the water, also shed water well on the backcast making it easy to cast.

I think you could use SF blend and get similar results, many ways to skin a cat, however, if you wanted to spend $16 for a couple of packages of yak you won't be disappointed.

BTW, just got his book on snook flies, well worth the cost of the e-book download.

You could certainly try substituting other material for the yak if the price turns you off. I don't know anything about the synthetic stuff, but I've had a bunch of real yak kicking around here for years, and I've never found it particularly special. Kanekalon wig hair is a bit softer and not as shiny, (think Slinky fiber) but I actually prefer it to yak. More colors, it's easily blended with flash, and it won't break the bank. Never be afraid to experiment. There are alternatives to almost any material.

you should see where I buy my leather goods huh.png

On a hair style note…would those braids work for fly tying? They do have some cool colors.

Heck, in these parts, it's considered rude to ask a man where he buys his skirts. Hey, they even carry olive - I think it's the same material I use except these dudes carry more colors. BTW - it's 37 degrees with 37 MPH wind gusts, and it's snowing sideways. If we get 37 inches of snow, we'll have a trifecta. Or is it a Grand Slam?

My daughters have some clip in braids and the unbraided parts are fine translucent material which will make great wings.

I use the Kanekalon with great success. It makes flies that can be tied quite large and still very light and easy to cast, and also can be packed so tightly that it will float until you pull it a few times to sink it. It lands lightly and nice movement. I buy for .99$ in the wig shops here and it goes a long way due to the fact that it comes in such large quantities. There are a few colors that I have not found for flies BUT for of most bait fish colors, it is killer. Any sort of Kinky Muddler flies to wide profiles...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152123597333304&l=845de37a90

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152263213383304&l=54cec7b97f

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152105138253304&l=1f8b655017

I use the Kanekalon with great success. It makes flies that can be tied quite large and still very light and easy to cast, and also can be packed so tightly that it will float until you pull it a few times to sink it. It lands lightly and nice movement. I buy for .99$ in the wig shops here and it goes a long way due to the fact that it comes in such large quantities. There are a few colors that I have not found for flies BUT for of most bait fish colors, it is killer. Any sort of Kinky Muddler flies to wide profiles...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152123597333304&l=845de37a90

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152263213383304&l=54cec7b97f

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152105138253304&l=1f8b655017

Check out the link that Panama Dave posted above. There are quite a few different types of Kanekalon - some of it's a bit kinkier than others (much like the members here) and one of them comes in olive, which I'd been unable to find until now.

After buying and reading featherbrain you almost immediately want to buy yak from Drew. Smart man that guy is. Puts it on like every other page of the book so by the end you must buy some. I had about $75 worth in my cart. Then I saw something about shipping taking up to 3 weeks or something crazy. Nothing turns me off more then waiting forever for material. Dave did your take a while?

After buying and reading featherbrain you almost immediately want to buy yak from Drew. Smart man that guy is. Puts it on like every other page of the book so by the end you must buy some. I had about $75 worth in my cart. Then I saw something about shipping taking up to 3 weeks or something crazy. Nothing turns me off more then waiting forever for material. Dave did your take a while?

I must admit I didn't see the three week shipping notice… Wish I had, its been longer than that, I order some extra white and a couple of colors I was missing. I got my first bunch from a shop in Jersey.

Are you having a had time finding some?