Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Keeping hooks rust free

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 04:23 PM

Where I work we use dessicant packs to keep moisture away from the product we make while they are being frozen. Well today it hit me that these would be great to stick in a fly box to help prevent hooks from rusting, especially over the off season. If you don't know what I'm talking about, check out the pic and the link below and you'll know what I mean.

IPB Image

website about them

#2 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 05:11 PM

Great idea Alex, every time I get something with those or silica packs I toss them in with my materials. Why dont you send me a few, I can put them to good use for sure. I also keep one or two in my guitar case. Are you still playing?
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#3 Alex C.

Alex C.

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 07:01 PM

Every now and then, I was picking it up for an hor or so just about every day till I moved, just haven't had any spare time

#4 nomad

nomad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 23 September 2006 - 09:05 AM

Great tip, I have a few in my gun safe and it works like a charm.
"In wildness is the preservation of the world." -Henry David Thoreau