Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Sandworm

Are ya up for a game of " HORSESHOES " ????

I have always loved Horseshoe Crabs . So I thought I'd tie up a few . Talk about Jurrasic Park !

post-55933-0-71074000-1431367157_thumb.jpg

post-55933-0-24931700-1431367175_thumb.jpg

post-55933-0-42316600-1431367196_thumb.jpg

post-55933-0-26780200-1431367348_thumb.jpg

Great mimic of a Horseshoe Crab. The only ones I've ever seen are dead on a beach.

I've never seen one that small, but I am sure they have to start growing somewhere.

Neat looking fly.

Same here... only ones I've seen were about 8 inches wide. I've seen them live too while snorkeling. I can't imagine they'd have enough meat on them for a fish to get any nutritional value. But every living species has something that limits its population, so something must eat them.

I have seen them that size in estuaries, and found a molted shell on the beach once about 4 inches across the back.

As far as I know, redfish are known to eat them, along with black drum, and sheepshead.

Hi guys. Thanks . I grew up on Jones Beach out on L. I.

I spent a lot time walking the water line . Crab Claws and Horseshoe Crabs were a major score. L. O. L. Those things freaked me out about as much as my name sake . ( Sandworm ) 's .so I thought why not try to come up with a close copy .

And your right about those fish you mentioned. The only other things I know of that eats them are Sharks and Turtles. If noth'N else , they are easy to catch ! Tim