Fly Tying
zip

Any blacksmiths around?

Looking for a blacksmith to do a custom knife for me.Any of you guys smithies or know anyone who is?

All the best,Steve

I can shoe your horse or mend your plow, but the fellows you want to meet call themselves "Blade Smiths" and have several forums and a society or three.

What are your requirements?

Looking for a 6 inch drop point blade,high carbon content,Scandinavian grind,hammered forge marks with a 90 degree spine.

Vicente is your man, Zip.

I appreciate the heads up buddy!

Might be moving off topic a little but I would use great care choosing a smith over there if what we see here on TV is anything to go by. We have started to get Forged in Fire on the TV here. There are guys that turn up on the show, having put their names forward weeks if not months previously. Who are supposedly experienced smiths, and time and again you hear "I've never done this or that technique." What? You put yourself forward for a competition where you know you may be required to do these things, and you don't bother to learn and practice them. I don't know about your side of the pond but here a blacksmith (the person who shoes horses is a farrier, not a blacksmith) was a respected trade. If you were a smith you were looked up to as a cut above the norm. I could understand if it was some obscure technique, but it isn't, "I've never made Damascus." And "I've never forge welded". Are these people for real? Choose with care, make sure they can use words of more than two syllables, or at least speak in more than grunts.

I would point you toward my friend Jens Pilgard, a true Viking smith, but he has retired. A shame as he made some of the most beautiful blades I've ever seen, even to smelting iron from a meteorite and converting it to steel.

Cheers,
C.

Crackaig ... don't confuse a few TV "15 minutes of fame" guys with the population. Most real blacksmiths are too busy to bother with a stupid TV show. Although, blacksmithing is a dying art ... as are many of the "hand-made" trades.

Think about it this way ... if WE (on this side of the pond) judged all of YOU based on the TV shows we get ... ???

The only really comparable current show I am familiar with from here is Masters of Photography. Though there was one similar based on ceramics a while back. I think the contestants would stack up well enough. They all have at least a good grounding in the basics of what they are doing.

The real problem is finding anything that amounts to more than "chewing gum for the eyes" on any channel.

Cheers,
C.

Try Smokey Mountain Knife Works. They may have something that fits what you are looking for. But if you must have custom, they may be able to put you in contact with a blade-smith.

what kind of knife are you looking for zip? I might be able to help you out.

Sent you a PM buddy

Try Smokey Mountain Knife Works. They may have something that fits what you are looking for. But if you must have custom, they may be able to put you in contact with a blade-smith.

It's funny you mention that place!I'm actually from pigeon forge and grew up in and out of there!I probably could find what I want there but the price would be absolutely insane and I would much rather do business with the little guy or a friend.

It's funny you mention that place!I'm actually from pigeon forge and grew up in and out of there!I probably could find what I want there but the price would be absolutely insane and I would much rather do business with the little guy or a friend.

Understood. 3 of the last 4 rods I have bought have been from smaller builders.