Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Favorite Brand of Fly Line

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 mahaney

mahaney

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 09:41 AM

Now that I've narrowed down my rod/reel choice, I need to decide on what fly line to use. I'll be purchasing a Winston BIIx 4wt 8.5' rod and a Lamson Litespeed 1.5 reel. What fly line would you recommend? Let me know what your using and please include the taper and color. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has found that bright colored fly lines spook fish. Seems like it could be a problem, but maybe it's right up there with rod flash....

Thanks,

-Jim

#2 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,473 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 11:17 AM

On my 4wt i have orvis wonderline right now (4DT-F grey) and it is a good line but i honestly havent noticed any difference in the wonderline to justify spending the extra cash on it again.

So i will probaly continue to stick with ethier Rio or SA lines since i have had good luck with them and they are a bit cheaper cost wise than the wonderline.

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#3 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 11:26 AM

The SA Mastry trout lines are very good. I use all WF lines, never did like the DT lines. If your fishing is going to require a lot of roll casting, Wulff Triangle taper.

As to subdued colors, most guides swear by them, but if you never line the fish, it doesn't make any difference what color it is.
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#4 Tim Smith

Tim Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 12:12 PM

I use Cortland 444 on my 5wt. its a double taper in that nasty peach color (its all they had and i was in a hurry) i like the way double taper lays down but i find it crankier in the wind than a weight forward line.
-T

#5 Gregor

Gregor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 02:41 AM

Cortland 444 and 444SL is the only choice for me! cool.gif

CATCH for pleasure - PHOTO for memory - RELEASE for future
www.facebook.com/gregorkriznikflyfishing

#6 Carlin

Carlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 08:44 AM

I usually use Corland 444 peach color or Airflo 7000 olive color, but I recently picked up some of the new Corland 444 Sylk which is a thinner diameter line made to (somewhat) emulate the performance of classic silk line.

The sylk is the best line I've ever used for fishing drys and small, unweighted nymphs. It's extremely supple, has very little memory and turns over nice and delicately. The color is mustard yellow with tiny black flecks. The only problem is it sucks for tossing large flies - it just doesn't seem to turn over with heavier flies. So, for a specialty line, it's sweet, but I think the classic 444 and the Airflo are better for all-around use.

#7 Pujic

Pujic

Browns? Where?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 09:39 AM

Airflo Polyfuse 7000 and SA Mastery Nymph line are my favs for light wt rods. Also, Rio Salmon / Steelhead WF line with the cold temp coating is great when fishing during the Winter.

Canadian Fly Fisher - Canada's Leading Fly Fishing Magazine
http://www.canflyfish.com

#8 uncletube

uncletube

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 05:42 PM

I use Cortland 444 lazer line on my Sage 4 and 6 wt rods. if taken care of they will give great service for quite long time. I fished one for 5 seasons, and I spend lots of time on the water. I am a little old fashioned and still fish a double taper line. I very rarely need to cast long distance(45ft plus) and besides it is like getting 2 lines for the price of one . I like the presentation better than a weight forward line as well.
Tube blink.gif
" Who are you trying to jive with that cosmic debris?"

#9 appalachian angler (tn.)

appalachian angler (tn.)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 07:06 PM

wink.gif SA Mastery series gpx taper (weight foward), in light willow. DT if ya do alot of roll casting on small streams.

A.A.
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies"

-- Bob Lawless.

#10 flydog33

flydog33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 09:10 PM

I stick with Wulf Triangle Taper lines

#11 Carlin

Carlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 09:13 PM

I stick with Wulf Triangle Taper lines

That's my next line to try. I've never had the chance to cast one, but I'm looking forward to it.

#12 Kingfisher

Kingfisher

It's better to have a rod and not need it than need a rod and not have it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 18 August 2004 - 09:45 PM

I've used the SA XPS and Cortland 444 series extensively, and prefer the Cortland due to suppleness and casting properties. That being said, my light rods are lined with SA, just because I got good deals on them.
Chris
Marine Scientist
NYC, Jersey Shore, Eastern PA, occasionally Downeast Maine

Big fish don't get big by being stupid.

#13 Peddler

Peddler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 August 2004 - 01:48 PM

S.A.! I'm not big on maintenance and these babies need very little. Besides, they come in all shapes and sizes and invented most tapers. With the backing of 3M they have all the technology in the world to make the best cores and coatings plus the machinery to make the best tapers. They are so good that most other lines are private labeled after being made by 3M/S.A.

#14 StandsOnLine

StandsOnLine

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 August 2004 - 12:45 PM

SA - XPS WF is the best I've used to date, up line 1 size ( if you have a faster action rod ) & live happily everafter.

#15 wanderinwalker

wanderinwalker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 06:22 PM

Cortland for me, 555 being my newest addition. I picked up a 4-weight for my new rod/reel combo (rod in-progress) and just gave it a cast on my old cheapo-6-weight. Shoots like a rocket, very manageable and being used on the heavier rod gave me about 15-20 feet of extra distance free. Very, very nice, and I can't wait to try it out on the rod it is meant for. Looks like next summer is going to be a bad one for the local trout! smile.gif