Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Chuck n Duck

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Graham

Graham

Silently keeping Steve in line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 12:13 PM

Now I’m really looking forward to fishing the Lake Ontario tribs next week, because I will be trying out Jim Teeny’s latest fly line called the “Chuck n Duck”. The 7 wt has an 8’ 12 wt tip, which eliminates the need for lead, and is the fastest sinking line available. Jim is also producing a 10-wt line with a 15-wt tip, pretty radical stuff. Jim called this morning and he is going to ship me a 7-wt to fish with next week, he’s hoping for some awesome photos. The fly line will be available in stores in a couple of weeks. I just had to share this with you guys because this really made my day. I can think of a few holes and slots that were tough to fish last year because the current would take the fly out of the zone before sinking deep enough, I have a feeling the new heavy sink-tip line will prove effective.

Graham

user posted image

#2 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 12:42 PM

That's cool Graham. Be sure to keep us posted on what you think. I have avoided some of the biggers rivers in our area because of the depth/speed of the holes. So I'm in the market for a sink tip for next year.

test

#3 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 01:09 PM

Sounds great. Glad those who don't build their own tips will have a chance to buy this stuff. Been building solid core lead tips (actual wire wrapped lead coated in plastic) for years now. Sink super fast. Always keep a few of them in short and long heads in my wallets.

#4 Graham

Graham

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 02:34 PM

For many years I fished the mountains of California, especially the East Walker river in the Sierras and I had never heard of chuck n duck fishing. Using a floating line a 20' leader and fine tippets and realistic flies was key to success. I would buy packs of different size lead shot, with the largest being much smaller than BB size and the smallest not much more than a speck. I would put the weights on the leader about 18” apart tapering from largest weight closest to the fly line and the smallest on the tippet with the last weight only about 8” from the fly. This would allow for good casting (lot’s of wind there) and a good drag-free natural-speed drift when casting up and across and no hinging of the leader, allowing for feeling the strike.

Well, about 8 years ago I was fishing a similar rig on the Oak (before the stream was written up and became crowded) and this Cali rig worked ok, but I noticed another guy having easier success. After fishing all day this guy was impressed that I was releasing everything, so he gave me his advice. Forget the nymphs and the drag free drift. Egg patterns work best on the tribs in the fall and eggs do not naturally drift at the same speed as dislodged nymphs. Eggs kinda roll along the bottom, much slower than the speed of the water. So, put on an egg pattern with about 3 BB size weights above the knot connecting your 3’ of tippet. This keeps the weight from sliding down to the fly, keeps the fly (egg) moving slowly along the bottom. I can assure you, this method worked very well. I just didn’t like the chuck-n-duck casting. Well, about 4 or 5 years ago I met Jim Teeny on the Oak and he did incredibly well fishing his T200 line and his Teeny flies. I haven’t fished the lead rig since then. I have found the mini-tip is great for most Sierra streams and the T-series are great for larger deeper water and I have a feeling the new super heavy Chuck-n-duck will be another great tool to keep in the arsenal. A couple of years ago I spent two weeks with Jim in Chile, fishing streams in the Andes to the Rio Grande in Tierra del Fuego and we kicked ass and only fished Teeny fly lines.

The photo below is a nice Sierra brownie caught about 10 years ago.

Graham

user posted image

#5 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 19 October 2004 - 03:06 PM

Ah, we've been doing a version of C&D for years. Just more refined, and with the invention of sinktips, kind of went the way of the wind. When I started steelheading with the fly, they were using flyreels spooled with heavy mono, then would cut a big chunk of heavy full sinking fly line, enough to load the rod (usually a 10-11wt type 3 to 6 for say a 7-8wt rod). Would make the tips around 8-15' long (depending on where you were fishing). Wasn't much control, and NO mending. But would cast anything you wanted to tie on, and would sink it like a rock to the bottom. Think the C&D from the GL's is similar, but not completely sure. We didn't have running line back then, nor "shooting heads". We just built our own.

#6 Pujic

Pujic

Browns? Where?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 21 October 2004 - 02:12 PM

Better bring a few of those new lines with you Graham wink.gif

Canadian Fly Fisher - Canada's Leading Fly Fishing Magazine
http://www.canflyfish.com

#7 Graham

Graham

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 07:07 PM

I just found this on line, thought it was pretty cool.

Jim Teeny Chuck & Duck

#8 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 07:28 PM

That's great. Hopefully he sends you some freebies for that. Great way to sell the lines. Think you deserve at least one line outta that. biggrin.gif

#9 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,477 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 07:32 PM

I'm gonna have to try that line. Graham i think i remember you saying you know Jim and i'll say that guy knows his stuff! i meet him about 6 yrs ago and hes a great guy that seems just like a normal "one of us" type guys. One of the nicest "famous" fisherman i'v ever had the pleasure of meeting!

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#10 Graham

Graham

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 07:46 PM

You are right, Jim Teeny is the nicest guy you could ever hope to meet on a trout stream, no ego, no attitude, just down to earth, friendly and helpful. The salt of the earth.

BTW… If you are on his web site and click on the Trips link and scroll down to Chile 2002. He claims that was the best trout fishing trip of his life, we had a great time. I shattered the record at Cameron Lodge, previously 6 sea run brown trout over 5 kilo's in a day, I got 13 in the book that day, largest was over 20 lbs. Fish have to be at least 5 kilos to enter the book. That was the best trout fishing trip of my life as well. My golden stones were renamed the Graaaahhaaaam's and emptied by fly boxes to the guides when I left. That was a trip I'll never forget and I have about a 100 photo's and lots of digital video to keep my memories fresh.

#11 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,477 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 07:59 PM

I agree Graham. I meet him when he was doing a meet and greet type deal at the local fly shop (flymart) and he not only signed his book for me that was out at the time but asked to see the pics i had with me from a recent trip and talked with me for at least 1/2 hour about my trip never once seeming like he was "above" me or anything. For sure the nicest guy in the industry i have ever had the pleasure of talking with, just seems like one of the crew to me cool.gif

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#12 tidbit

tidbit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 08:06 PM

Hey Graham,

Your a CELEBRITY--- rolleyes.gif

Nice notes on the "Chuck-n-duck" line. I have been using the "Clouser" line (RIO product) and feel sure it is much like the Teeny line. It gets the fly down on the botton and keeps it there.

Let's not tell everybody about this---you know---word gets around and everyone is doing it. Just kidding. blink.gif

tidbit

#13 Graham

Graham

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 09:30 PM

Hi Tidbit,

Thank you, I'm smiling. I'm definetly not a CELEBRITY...But ,in the past 23 years I have gained a respectable reputation for my skilled workmanship as a solar energy contractor in Los Angeles. I have personally installed solar energy equipment on the homes of many well known actors, directors, producers, writers, etc. Thats what I do for a living.

I kinda like the pictures on this web page:

Solar Panels for Woody Harrelson's Home

#14 Pujic

Pujic

Browns? Where?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 10:26 AM

Hey, I know that guy! LOL
Congrats Graham!

Canadian Fly Fisher - Canada's Leading Fly Fishing Magazine
http://www.canflyfish.com

#15 getholdofjoru

getholdofjoru

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 12:03 PM

I'd like to try that, that could be alot better than tying on all those split shot and plunking the water.

----JGR----

Check out my blog at www.thejgrdispatch.com

“Never confuse movement with action.” Ernest Hemingway

"The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time." Jack London

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." Theodore Roosevelt

"Live every week like it's Shark Week." Tracy Morgan