Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Sage TCR

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 01:38 PM

My fly club had a beginners clinic last sunday and one of the local fly shops brought over a couple of rods for the casting instructors to try out. Let me first say that I have never been a fan of Sage fly rods, but the TCR is different. I thought I owned fast rods, but this thing is in a class by itself.

Me and a couple of other instructors started expermenting to see what it had.
It is an amazing fly rod. 3" wide loops? No problem. 100 foot casts? Effortless. This rod can do it all with ease. It is also not for everybody. It retails for $725 a little more than even I would pay. It won't improve bad casting, only good instruction and practice can do that. But if you are a very good caster and want to get the most from a rod, this one is for you.
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#2 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 11:21 AM

That is good to know,I have been wondering about those rods.Do you think they are realy worth it?
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain

#3 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 09:05 AM

Like I said in my report, it is not for everyone. A marginal or poor caster wouldn't benefit from this rod or any fast action rod for that matter. If you don't double haul and you don't need to cast past 50 feet, you don't need this rod. I can't see where a small stream trout fisherman would benefit at all.

In my opinion, it is perfect for sight fishing on the saltwater flats where you have to be able to take one backcast and let it rip with a minimal amount of line out past the tip. That is the type of fishing I do most of the time, but still I wouldn't spend $725 on a fly rod.
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#4 Peddler

Peddler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 15 November 2004 - 09:00 PM

I was able to test the 5 weight TCR against the 5 weight Loomis High Line Speed for a couple hours. Both wailed the line out there but the Loomis was more forgiving to slight blunders and seemed more usefull in normal fishing situations that encompassed more than just throwing long casts. It was still way too much money though!

#5 Joe Hard

Joe Hard

Will Work For Bolgna

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,829 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 01:56 PM

thanks guys, I am looking for a rod to fish the salt.
My Webpage - http://joehardflytying.4t.com/ (WARNING LOTS OF POP UPS)

This fella will be pleased with your work, if not hes damn nuts, and should be beat with a stick!! fly time

"All it takes is one fool to be standing arround doing something, for a bunch of other fools to join in"......a quote from an old Newfoundlander I met fishing in the pooring rain