Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Gatti IM6

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 LotechJoe

LotechJoe

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 11:31 PM

One of my favorite rods to fish is my Gatti 8 1/2' 5 weight IM6. I'm curious if anyone on this board has ever fished one. I like mine enough that I would consider seriously purchasing a 9' 4 weight. I seem to get both accuracy and increased distance out of mine. Any thoughts?

#2 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,477 posts

Posted 28 November 2004 - 11:34 PM

I have never casted a Gatti yet but Nick Pujic on this site is a dealer for Gatti and i am considering giving one a try myself next summer. Have you fished dries with your 8'6" 5wt or do you mostly use it for Nymphs? just wondered how the action felt with a small fly long leader set up.

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#3 LotechJoe

LotechJoe

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 08:37 AM

steeldrifter,
I'm no pro at casting, but I use mine for dry fly fishing mostly. I very seldom use a leader that's any longer than the rod. It simply casts better than any other rod I own. The effort I put into a 45 or 50 foot cast with my other rods, yields a 60 foot cast with my Gatti. However, my biggest fish to date with that rod was while site fishing a dead drift Pheasant Tail Nymph to a 20" Rainbow in a Central Washington Spring Creek. If you're thinking about getting one you might want to think about it soon. I heard a rumor that Gatti is discontinuing the IM6. Mine was selling for $140 US.

#4 Pujic

Pujic

Browns? Where?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 10:44 AM

Hi Joe,

I'm thrilled that you like your GATTI rod. GHow, another member of this board, and recent winner of our annual photo contest, just won a 6wt 9' IM6 2pc GATTI. I am anticipating his review shortly.

I've had the pleasure of casting all of GATTI's lines and I can honestly say that what you see and feel in the IM6 holds true in the rest. The lightweight factor and smooth action is quite remarkable.

I work very closely with Sandro Gatti from Italy and haven't heard anything about a discontinuation of the IM6 series. If anyone is interested in these rods you can check them out on our website at www.gatti-canada.com The IM6 line starts at $155 Canadian (approx $131 US Dollars). FTF Members also recieve an additional 10% off MSRP for the remainder of this month smile.gif

Cheers,

Nick

Canadian Fly Fisher - Canada's Leading Fly Fishing Magazine
http://www.canflyfish.com

#5 Graham

Graham

Silently keeping Steve in line

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,901 posts

Posted 29 November 2004 - 01:00 PM

I borrowed and fished Pujic's Gatti fly rod last month and I have to say they are Excellent to fish with. Fast, crisp, powerful and super light weight, a pleasure to cast, and retrieve fish with. Here's a picture of a nice brownie I caught using the Gatti.

user posted image

#6 LotechJoe

LotechJoe

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 08:20 AM

smile.gif Thanks for the comments you guys. Frankly, I'm surprised more folks don't fish with Gatti rods. They are such a pleasure. I also have a 7 1/2' 4 weight FRC, and the line just flat whistles through th guides. Nick, I'm happy to hear the rumor of discontinued IM6's is false. If I can scrape it together or trade some stuff off, I may yet get that 9' 4 weight.
Thanks again,

#7 Kingfisher

Kingfisher

It's better to have a rod and not need it than need a rod and not have it

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 01:29 PM

Joe - My $0.02: Gatti rods are virtually unheard of on the East Coast, where we seem to get a lot of coverage with the big names (i.e. Sage and Loomis, and to a lesser extent St. Croix, Thomas & Thomas), with some of the less-expensive alternatives such as Redington and TFO also having a small market share. I had not heard of Gatti until earlier this year when I was searching for a long blank to build a steelhead rod on. I'm interested in checking some of their rods out, as I've heard nothing but great things about them from some of my acquaintances from the WC. Too bad I'm loaded up on rods at the mo'. Maybe next year.
Chris
Marine Scientist
NYC, Jersey Shore, Eastern PA, occasionally Downeast Maine

Big fish don't get big by being stupid.

#8 mgj

mgj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 01:40 PM

my 8' 3wt gatti rod is my first string trout rod.
I freaking love it. can't remember the model nomenclature though.

I'm considering their latest model in a 5wt as a winter building project.

mgj

#9 Pujic

Pujic

Browns? Where?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 02:49 PM

Chris,

You're absolutely right. Historically GATTI has never been a dominant force in the North American market not due to the quality of our products, but due to lack of advertising. For the most part, people just don't know about us.

Since starting this adventure, a big objective for myself and the rest of the GATTI Canada team has been to over come this barrier through aggresive advertising campaigns in both printed and online publications. I am confident that in time we will succeed. The rods speak for themselves once fly fishers try them. It's just a matter of making people aware that we are here. smile.gif

#10 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,477 posts

Posted 30 November 2004 - 02:59 PM

Nick maybe you should send me a Gatti rod so i can "spread the word" about them here in Michigan laugh.gif

no? well it was worth a try wasnt it wink.gif

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#11 LigonierA1

LigonierA1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 11:04 AM

I've been using a 8'6" 4wt Gatti for the last two years and it's is a wonderful, wonderful rod. Don't be scared away due to lack of familiarity, they are the real deal....

#12 rovercat

rovercat

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 02:23 PM

LotechJoe how yah doing.
As to the dicontinuation of the IM6 that was addressed by Sandro Gatti last summer. He had intended to do that. After some objection and increased ordering through Gatti-USA he will be re stocking come spring. With tha addition of Gatti-Canada of late and the fact that a new US dealer in New Jersey has come on board and there is now a sales rep out of Pennsilvania. the word is getting out with regard to Gatti Rods. In addition to this folks like lotechJoe who are more than pleased with Gatti are passing the word around as the best form of addvertising.
Steeldrifter I will work with you on a rod for you to test out and introduce to Michigan.
I do have a custom builder in you're area also.
Brian T. Ahern
www.gatti-usa.com
brian@gatti-usa.com
Merry Christmas All and LotechJoe it was not the same this Sept in Idaho withought you.

http://www.gatti-usa.com
brian@gatti-usa.com

Teach a man how to fish and he will never go hungery.
Teach a man how to fly fish and he will probably starve.

THE GIMPY GRUMPY GATTI GUY

#13 Pujic

Pujic

Browns? Where?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 02:32 PM

Hey Brian, nice to see you on the site!

Nick

#14 rovercat

rovercat

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 04:10 PM

Nick
Howdy I do not know how I ended up here. First time visit but I am glade I did. Do you have the info for the new FRLW 2 wt. If not let me know.

brian@gatti-usa.com
www.gatti-usa.com

http://www.gatti-usa.com
brian@gatti-usa.com

Teach a man how to fish and he will never go hungery.
Teach a man how to fly fish and he will probably starve.

THE GIMPY GRUMPY GATTI GUY

#15 LotechJoe

LotechJoe

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 December 2004 - 10:44 PM

dunno.gif Brian,
It's good to hear from you again. I lost all contact with my favorite folks when I moved. I forgot to save my address book and paid for it BIG TIME. I'm glad I've got you back again. I absolutely love my Gatti rods. I'm going to be fishing the 7 1/2 4 weight this weekend at Rock Ford. I'll let you know how it works out. You can find me at poorboy2004@msn.com . Give Donna my best.