Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Cortland 333ht

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jbrowning

jbrowning

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 10:07 PM

I picked up a Cortland 333HT FLOATING ROCKET LINE WF3F 30 yards for $15.00. Has anyone ever used this line? And if you have what did you think of it. I bought it to go on my 3wt 7'6" rod I will be building at the first of the year.

Thanks
Jim

#2 Live2Fish

Live2Fish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 05:42 AM

I've used it once and wasn't that impressed with it. Took a lot of maintenance to keep it casting well.
Fishing is at once the ultimate quest, the ultimate joy, the ultimate frustration. And anglers wouldn’t have it any other way.

#3 fishinwrench

fishinwrench

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 09:34 AM

Well, I'll have to go to the other side. I love the way 333HT casts, it floats ok, and
it's tough as nails too. I like the 333 WF taper design better than the 444SL WF taper. I can shoot further with 333HT than I can with 444SL and I would use it as an "everything" weight forward if it wasn't for the color.....wish they offered it in mint green like the 444SL

It is definately the best bargin in quality lines. The first thing I always notice when I cast my 6wt with the 333HT is how the line hangs in the air on the backcast, almost as if it tries to levitate...that's cool ! But, line color is a big issue for me, IMO all lines should be mint green.

"What is it with you people ?......buncha friggin' bodaggots".

#4 jbrowning

jbrowning

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 10:00 AM

Thank you both for your input on this line. I think this line is a green color. But I'm not sure. I will look at it when I get home to make sure.

Jim

#5 Live2Fish

Live2Fish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 08:37 PM

Wow fishinwrench, you make me wonder if I got bad line!
Fishing is at once the ultimate quest, the ultimate joy, the ultimate frustration. And anglers wouldn’t have it any other way.

#6 fishinwrench

fishinwrench

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 01:52 AM

JBrown, yep it's green, green like grass dry.gif

Live2, Naw, I've heard countless guys say it was "junk". If we all liked the same line there wouldn't be much to choose from out there. SA is the most popular line made and although I love the limpness factor of thier Ultra3 and the way it floats I am afraid to depend on it for more than a month or so, just seems too spongey/delicate to me. If I only fished occaisionally I might choose SA ultra3 but I fish about 135 days per year on average, alternating between a 5,6&7wt. depending on species.

I haven't fished all of the lines out there by far (I would like to fish the Rio Clouser line for awhile) but I have just settled on 444SL as my go to line, it does what I need it to do and typically lasts a year and a half before the last 20 feet gets the "tiny-cracks".
Just curious, what line are you using now ?
"What is it with you people ?......buncha friggin' bodaggots".

#7 jbrowning

jbrowning

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 10:00 AM

So you are telling me there is a difference between green like grass color and mint green color dunno.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif I thought green was green. laugh.gif bugeyes.gif

Jim

#8 Carlin

Carlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 01:06 PM

I haven't used the 333, but I frequently use a 444 peach so I figured I put in a plug for an exceptional deal. Hook & Hackle had Cortland make them a yellow/green (kind of a dog-vomit yellow for those of you familiar with that experience smile.gif )version of the 444 Classic that they are selling as their 'Hi-Floater' signature line. Besides being a great all-around line, it isn't peach colored (I also prefer green) and H&H is currently selling it for only $28! Go to their website, find the line and add it to your cart and all the current discounts will be applied. Plus free shipping over $50. Sweet deal - NFI. headbang.gif

#9 OSD

OSD

Doing things the old way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 01:49 PM

kind of a dog-vomit yellow for those of you familiar with that experience

Way too much information Carl sick.gif

OSD.
user posted image

#10 LeoCreek

LeoCreek

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 01:51 PM

Have to agree with Fishinwrench on this. I 've been using 333's for many, many years & think they are a great line for the money. Very durable, cast long & short well. The tip doesn't stay up on the floating lines maybe as well as some expensive lines, but it's not bad enough to worry much about.

I bought 333's, both floating & sinking, for my sons when they got into fly fishing. They are still working just fine after several years.

Anyway, I think they are excellent lines for the money.

Tom

#11 DFix

DFix

New and improved, guaranteed to handle 3.4 gigs of translation per minute!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 10:17 AM

Another satisfied Cortland 333 user here!

Aside from personal use for almost as long as the 333 has been in production, inclusive of recent purchases, and moreso if I'm outfitting teaching equipment for Scouts or anybody else, I'm looking for the best quality line I can get for the most reasonable price.

Cortland 333 series line is durable, dependable, and it even works for REAL FISHING TOO!

#12 jbrowning

jbrowning

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 02:09 PM

Cool, it sounds like a got a pretty good deal on this. Thanks for everyones comments. Um even Carls dog vomit color... comparison sick.gif

Can't wait to get the 3wt rod done and go play some.

Thanks
Jim

#13 Live2Fish

Live2Fish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 07:49 PM

Glad to see so many do use it.

I use Cabela's Prestige Fly Line. I can't remember if Scientific Angler or Cortland makes it for them. I can usually get about 2-1/2 seasons out of it.

#14 Mr. Jingles

Mr. Jingles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 07:58 PM

You guys got me sold on Cortland lines. That's what I like about this forum, I can always come in, look around for new products, and make my purchase decesions based on logical information.

Thanks guys, and keep fishin!

Mr Jingles

#15 jbrowning

jbrowning

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,783 posts

Posted 03 January 2005 - 08:49 PM

Nice avatar Mr Jingles. cheers.gif

Jim