Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

The Handbook of FLY TYING

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 appalachian angler (tn.)

appalachian angler (tn.)

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 08:30 PM

I ran across this book the other day, killing time waiting for my daughter in Barnes & Noble. This is a Brittish book and written from the Brittish fly tyers perspective. I must say that I was very impressed with the level of instruction offered (from begginer to advanced), and layed out in a practical and logical manner. The step-by-step instructional photos are excellent as are the illustrations. I bought the book because it offers quite a few tying tips that fill in gaps in my tying. Most of the "dressings" cross over to North American waters and are focussed on trout and salmon. The text is pretty staightfoward as well...only accompanied by a slight odor of musty old tweed and Earl Grey tea. laugh.gif
Bound in semi-soft cover, and the pages have a sort of satin finnish so no glossy type glare as it sits under the bright tying lamp. A good value at $24.95 US!

ISBN 0-88317-158-9

A.A.
"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies"

-- Bob Lawless.

#2 bentflyrod

bentflyrod

"BEST FREAKIN' RELATOR"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 11:41 PM

Barnes & Noble is one of those store that I can walk out of without a book! I looked at the handbook of FLY TYING yesterday. It was a nice book. I ended up leaving with THE FLY-TYING BIBLE by the same author. I liked the large picture that labels all the materials used. Written instruction small enough so as not to distract me from following the picture instructions to tie the fly. (If my wife were here she would yell at me for not reading the instuction) And I like the way it is spiral bound so it doesn't keep closing on me in the middle of a fly.

BFR

IT'S SANTA SWAP SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 BadKarma

BadKarma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 08:33 AM

Hey bent, just a suggestion. All the pattern books I have I did not buy the spiral bound editions. I decided to pay for the softbound (which is lower in price) and have the spines ripped and a spiral binding put in. The cost: about 3 buckes per book.

I know that to buy a spiral bound edition over a normal edition is a difference of 15-20 dollars.

Just a thought. The avatar rocks bro.

#4 bentflyrod

bentflyrod

"BEST FREAKIN' RELATOR"

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,117 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 10:55 AM

I know that to buy a spiral bound edition over a normal edition is a difference of 15-20 dollars.

Didn't have much of a choice if I wanted the FLY_TYING BIBLE right then. They didn't have a soft cover. To compare prices, the handbook of FLY TYING in semi soft cover is $24.95. The FLY_TYING BIBLE in spiral bound is $24.95. And I only had to pay half, my son payed the other half.

The avatar rocks bro.

Thanks! He's a badass!

IT'S SANTA SWAP SEASON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#5 Dave

Dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 11:02 AM

BadKarma,

Where can you get that done?

#6 BadKarma

BadKarma

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 January 2005 - 11:35 AM

QUOTE (Dave @ Jan 5 2005, 11:02 AM)
BadKarma,

Where can you get that done?

Most any decent printing shop can do it for you. I have a couple friends that have thier own shop and I get mine done for free, but I also tye flies for free for the owner.

Try any of the Kinkos or similar stores. The prices will vary but it will offset the price for the one already done by the publisher.

headbang.gif