Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

William Joseph

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 artimus

artimus

What? a fly swap?..... I'M IN!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 09:15 PM

Anyone using any one of the William Joesph pack systems? Pros/cons?

Art
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.
----- Unknown -----

#2 Lance Kekel

Lance Kekel

Adored by fish feared by women!...no wait a minute, fish adore..I mean, women..feared.......oh forget it!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 09:40 PM

I've got the coastal pack and absolutely love it so much I may buy another as a replacement for my current steelhead vest. headbang.gif My wife got it for me last summer as a vest for my small stream exploration trips when I want to travel light. When loaded up with flies and a raincoat it feels like it just belongs on me all the time and because of the open design you don't get hot. Suprisingly the leader pocket on it even works pretty well! The D rings and retractors are well placed also. The only item holding me up on the purchase as a steelhead replacement is that my large streamer box will not fit in the pockets so I need to decide which is more impartant, the vest or the "big box".

It's down to this or the new 2005 Simms G3 vest I saw at the show this weekend. The WJ pack is awfully tough to beat.
Lance Kekel

Get me on the water!!

#3 Todder

Todder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 10:46 PM

I bought one the original style about four or five years ago as a replacement for my traditional vest. I really like, but there is not enough in it for trout fishing (for me). It has been relagated to my steelhead/salmon vest. Their newer styles look great and I think I would be happy with one of those, but I do not need another vest. William Joseph make a quality product and if you can find a style you like, I would suggest you go for it.

#4 fcflyguy

fcflyguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 11:20 PM

william joesph packs are very good quailty I have the creel. you do need to find the style you like I also like the gear pack also.

fcflyguy
tied to throw not for show

#5 Mr. Trout

Mr. Trout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 12:03 PM

I bought a WJ chest pack from a friend of mine who didnt really seem to like it. Originally I bought it for my girlfriend to use but once I tried it on she inherited my old chest pack. Myself I think they are one of the best ways to go, especially if you like to travel light. Ya you do need to downsize your boxes, but the other features far outway this. What I like best is the front pocket that lays out flat as a mini work surface, and it has a waterproof bag inside as well. Another good thing is for winter fishing when you want to bundle up with a few extra layers the strap adjusts in a sinch and doesnt get a tight like some vest may do with the extra layers. I started out using it for small stream fishing but it stiil can handle enough gear for my steelhead trips. I think there is a couple different sizes you can get I believe mine is the smallest.

#6 artimus

artimus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 06:08 PM

I got the new chest bag (one down from the Coastal) the other day in the mail, and all I can say that I'm totally impressed with the whole thing. I was a little disturbed at the size of the front pack area as it is a little smaller then what I was hoping for, but that is the only down side. The rest of it is just WOW! Construction, looks and feel are second to none.
I might have to get some 'new' hehehe smaller boxes for the smaller pocket, but other then that I can't wait to hit the rivers this spring with my new gear!!! (breathables, boots, pack, and jacket) tongue.gif . You gotta love buying gear in the off-season. cheap, cheap, cheap...

Art
----- Unknown -----

#7 EGG!

EGG!

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 07:59 PM

My girlfriend got me a mini chest pack last year for my birthday. I thought it was a little pricey for what it was, but after beating it up for a year the thing still looks brand new. Very happy with it, especially on days when I walk alot to find active fish. It is comfortable to wear and very durable. Five or six times this fall I got hooks snagged deep in the material of the pack. Grabbed my pliers and worked them out with no damage to the material.

#8 artimus

artimus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 08:15 PM

EGG,
Aside from that the pack looks so cool, I wanted something that carries for the long haul better (6+ hr days, and unknown km). Price wise, I got mine cheaper then anything I've seem (under $100 USD). 102 days to go!!!

Art
----- Unknown -----

#9 jfink

jfink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 10:08 PM

I was given the creel for christmas so I haven't really tried it out. I have been trying to cut down how much I drag to the river with me and condense things. We will see if this works. I also like having the camel back.

#10 steeladdict

steeladdict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 02:24 PM

I bought the coastal pack this fall and I love it. I am not sure if I will ever go back to my vest again. They are pricey, but you can find good deals on Ebay.

#11 iflyfish47

iflyfish47

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 January 2005 - 03:12 PM

My girl friend and I both have William Joseph packs. She has the chest pack and I have the flats pack. We both like them, but have one significant problem - if you use them in saltwater, they have a problem with salt buildup under the zippers, which can cause the zippers to lock up in one place. You need to be sure to rinse under the zippers with warm water every time you use them.