Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

steelhead/salmon reels

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sore arm

sore arm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 01:04 AM

I am thinking of getting a new reel. The one I have now is on its last leg. The drag is shot on it. It seams to go to wherever it wants and whenever it wants. I use 8wt line and my main fish is th steelhead of Lake Erie. Afew days out of the year I will go to a neighboring state for salmon. I want to get this right and have roughly 250 to spend. Names and looks are not that important to me, but quality is. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

#2 Kodiak Commando

Kodiak Commando

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 01:10 AM

I love the lamson velocity reels, i would get one of them.
I wish my first words when i was born were quote so right before I died I could say unqoute-stepen wright

#3 fishyfranky

fishyfranky

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 08:28 AM

I've got the Bauer JM4 for my 8wt setup. Built like a tank and it has a solid drag that I've used to stop 20lb+ fresh salmon. The drag is very smooth with no startup jerking so it plays out fast running steelhead too.

The JM's are a great deal in that price range. Another option would be a Ross Rhythm 3.5. Similar price range, lighter but not as solid feeling. I'm using it on a 7wt dedicated steelhead outfit.

#4 jasonk

jasonk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 11:45 AM

i would second the lamson vilocity as it is hands down the best reel on the market at its price range. the conical drag that it uses provides excellent stopping power, and is maintnence free. other than that i would recomend an old hardy clicker.

#5 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,472 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 07:01 PM

Harris has been the best salmon/steelie 8wt reel I have ever owned but its probably about $100 out of that price range. I had a Ross Rythm and I ended up having to get the drag repaired after the 3rd salmon I caught with it. Ni offense to anyone that has one but I was not impressed with the drag on the rythme at all.

Ross does have some good reels for that price range though, try to find a older model ross C4, i just sold one last fall but it was a real work horse for me for over 7 years without a single problem.

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#6 OSD

OSD

Doing things the old way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 08:33 PM

I will agree with steeldrifter the Harris is just about the finest Steelhead/salmon reel ever made with a very smooth drag and it's built to last
but I have had good with a less expensive reel the Tioga LA8 which is very rugged but the drag isn't near as smooth as the Harris.

OSD.

user posted image