Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Reel Opinions

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 NineZeroSeven

NineZeroSeven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 06:20 PM

I've been looking for a new reel for about 6 months. I fish mostly in Indiana for smallmouth and largemouth, with a 7wt rod, and to this point, a bottom of the barrel Pfleuger reel. Last year I tried to get into some steelhead in Northern IN, and I also have friends in AK, and want to be able to get into some silvers there. I've been told that I can theoretically do all this on the same 7wt setup. I think though, that a solid reel with a good drag is going to be key to making this work. So - to that end, I've been looking at several reels that can handle all my needs. I think I have narrowed it down to a couple of good ones, but would also be willing to hear more input from those of you with more experience than I have. I've looked at either the new Orvis battenkill mid-arbor (was the pro-guide ma last fall - they've apparently changed the name - guess people are stuck on the name battenkill) and I've heard a lot of good things about the Teton tioga. These both fall into the right price range, (<$150.) I'm sure some of you have experience with either or both of these reels, or can suggest others that I should look into.

RB

#2 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,478 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 07:02 PM

I think you should be ok doing that with the 7wt. For a reel Theres alot of choices out there. The battenkill alot of people seem to like but personaly I had a 7/8wt battenkill and had some problems with the spool to case fit distorting on me after a few landed salmon. I was told by Orvis that it was a "bad batch" and they supplied me a new one, but it did the same thing after awhile. Could have just been a isolated case but that kinda soured me on the battenkills.

The Tiogas I've heard nothing but good things about. I havent used the larger size tioga but I had a chance to play around with a 5 wt tioga and it was a really nice quality piece, for the price I was impressed.

SD

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#3 bluenose

bluenose

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 07:23 PM

I've used the Teton Tioga for the past two years. Great reel.

Regards

#4 OSD

OSD

Doing things the old way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 07:29 PM

I also have a Tioga and have landed a few good size salmon and steelhead with it and had no problems (great buy for the money)

OSD.
user posted image

#5 Sean Juan

Sean Juan

Local Boob

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 02:34 PM

Just another voice for the Tioga...
F'ing the ineffable since 1974

#6 NineZeroSeven

NineZeroSeven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 05:10 PM

What about Islander? Anyone have any experience with their reels?

#7 lewy271

lewy271

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 12:43 AM

I don't know I personally have a price limit on a reel that I will never go over, that is between 100 and 150. The only reason its that much is for vanity... I personally own:

Cortland Big Game for pike and steelhead....Nice reel super solid drag, but feels like a brick on the bottom of the rod. This is on my 9

Redington GD on my 7 brand new hasn't even hit the water yet but seems solid, spools are decently priced to 25 bucks...It aluminum...It definitely has that *BLING* factor should do well with freaking out some spooky carp.

Okuma Magnitude on my 5 feather weight magnesium...Sweet enough drag...

I've been out fished by guys with old school line holder reels no drag or anything... At this point in time I look for a descent reel with cheap spare spool prices that way I can destroy the reel and not feel so bad about it. Reels are over-priced pieces of art in my opinion. I think if I was fishing salt I would feel differently about this. Most of my fishing is smallies and largemouth they are easy to get too..I've had one fish bring me to the reel...and I didn't even fight him on it when I got there. But back to your question Your price range matters...But I'd by the Magnitude and a spare spool and still have have money left over for the bar afterwards.

#8 cornmuse

cornmuse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 02:48 PM

I've fished Battenkill disc drag reels for better than 10 years. Got (2) 5/6, (1) 7/8 and (1) 8/9. I'd opt for either the 7/8 or 8/9 for the 7 wt set-up you describe. Excellent reel for $125 - I've taken everything from redfish to bluefish, trout to carp and never had a single problem. I fish about 80 to 100 times per year and I'm tough on tackle. Spare spools run about $50. A little pricey (why is it that I can get a 10 ball bearing spinning reel that is machined to a fare-thee-well for $65 but I can't get a class-act fly reel for under $100?) but a good value when compared with the alternatives. And honestly, I can't say a bad word about Orvis' customer service. Good company (a bit slow on turn-around but I'd guess not much different than any other company for rod repairs).

Of course I learned how to fish and landed quite a few Cape Cod stripers on my old Pflueger 1495 and never had a problem with that, either. In fact, I'm still fishing it regularly after 25 years!

My $0.02.

Joe C.
"Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit,
and resign yourself to the influences of each."
- Henry David Thoreau

Visit Fly Fish Ohio for great fly fishing and fly tying articles, the "Adventures in Fly Tying" monthly video podcast and the "Adventures in Fly Fishing" monthly audio podcast. The Midwest isn't a place you fly over to get to good fishing - it's right here in our own backyards.

Think globally - fish locally.

#9 JRG

JRG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 06:28 PM

Hi guys,

I don't have a lot of experience with larger reels but I am currently using a G. Loomis Adventure 7. I'm pretty happy with it. I got it for $100 which is quite reasonable. Adjustable drag, all aluminum construction, and pretty smooth overall for a 7wt. I use it on my 6wt with no problems. I haven't caught any monsters on it, but it handled the steelhead ok last year but none of them were too big but they could still take some line out.

Jeff

#10 ditz

ditz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 10:18 AM

I am interested in the fact that I have seen no reference to the Pfleugers considering the price. I have used a 1400 series reel for bass fishing for 30 years without problems. It shows a lot of wear but that is part of it's personality. I am getting ready to buy one of the new 1500 series and I will still have change to take mother to dinner. Any comments are welcome.

Ditz

#11 RLinNH

RLinNH

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:25 AM

Couldn't find a 1500. All I could find from Pfleuger were the Medalist, Supreme, and the Trion. Do you have a link for the 1500?

#12 RLinNH

RLinNH

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 11:09 AM

Just got back from my local outfitter and checked out the new Battenkill. Wow!!! I remember when I got one about 10 or 12 years ago and the reel was a cast iron Anchor. After a few seasons of use, the frame warped on me. Well, KI can honestly say that the new ones are a hell of a lot nicer then the old one. Matter of fact, I am probably going to go with one on my new 4 wgt. Sage TLX. Damned fine job on the Battenkills Orvis. Also, they are still keeping the price down. Less then 120 for my 4 wgt. headbang.gif

#13 jcstikfish

jcstikfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 12:39 PM

Toga!, Toga! oh......I mean Tioga!, Tioga! tongue.gif

You wont be disapointed. Look on Ebay, I have gotten two from a shop in CA called Mike Scott Fly Shop for a great deal.

I have an "8" I use for Steelhead and a LA 10 for the Salt and Salmon.

~James
www.autumnbrookangling.com
Custom Flies and NJ Guide Service

#14 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,478 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE (jcstikfish @ Mar 24 2005, 12:39 PM)
Look on Ebay, I have gotten two from a shop in CA called Mike Scott Fly Shop for a great deal.

Agree with ya on that. I picked up one for a contest we did here on FTF and thats the place I bought it from, Mike was very helpful and shipped it fast. Plus the price wasnt bad as well.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

https://www.youtube....h?v=je3rQevW-cw

#15 NineZeroSeven

NineZeroSeven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 24 March 2005 - 04:59 PM

Teton's warranty requires proof of original purchase, how does this go with an ebay sale? I've been looking there, and have found several 8RAs for about $100 and a little change, but was concerned about the warranty, so haven't sprung yet.