Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

elkhorn rod

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 fcflyguy

fcflyguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 06:03 PM

Has any body fished a elkhorn rod? I think Iam going to get a 4 weight 4 peice one .it is that or a TFO rod thanks fCFLYGUY dunno.gif
tied to throw not for show

#2 Flyweaver

Flyweaver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 06:24 PM

My son bought 2 of them at different times at the Somerset NJ fly Fishing Show,$165.00 with reel. I have given them a test cast and they are almost as good as my custom Diamond backs at half the price. If they are at the Fly Fishing Fair in Ft Washington, PA March 12 & 13, I am going to pick up one of their bamboorods about $300.00.
The only thing golden about the golden years is your urine

#3 arthur

arthur

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 04:04 PM

I bought a Elkhorn at the Wilmington, MA show three years ago. It is a 4 piece 2 wt. and I am very happy with it. I fish two to three times a week and I think it handles well, nice quality cork and well done finish. A two wt. should be a little slower action to lay the fly down softly. The 2 wt. Elkhorn does a fine job.

Showed it to a frind from Canada last spring and he bought a 4 wt. medium action from their web site. He called me to tell me how much he enjoys it.

Price a the MArlboro Ma show in Jan. 05 was $165.00 for rod and a nice reel ( for fresh water).

I cast their 9 wt. at the show. It had semi-fast action and seemed to handle a large fly that I tied in the Fly Tyers booth ( point and barb cut off). I think it could punch through the wind.

I think you will be happy with their product.

Tight lines biggrin.gif

#4 Carlin

Carlin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 05:00 PM

Consider strongly your choice to get one of their bamboo rods. The blanks are made in China and are assembled in China and are of questionable build at best.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I do want to let you know what you'd be getting. dunno.gif