Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Non Fly fishing tackle

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,291 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 08:26 AM

Shhhhh. Spinning gear. Say it quietly.

Not sure where the non fly related section went so I'll try here.
Has anyone any experience of the Penn clash or slammer 3. Is the blurb correct about salt water longevity?
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#2 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 09:18 AM

What blurb are you referring to? I have several Penn reels to include the clash, SS, Slammer and battle that I use for fresh and salt water. I should say I had a clash in a horrible fishing accident it went over the side of the boat along with a custom rod it was on. Mainly for stripers and catfish. I buy Penn reels because they last, their drags can take a beating and they have large knobby handles.

The clash and Slammer are not sealed reels so some water can work its way inside. As far as longevity goes, I'm the wrong guy to ask, I am meticoulous about the care of my gear. I have zero issues with longevity on anything I buy. Penn is a well made reel that will last a lifetime with minimum care. If you take it swimming in saltwater you may have an issue but that can be said about any reel. I like the Slammer over the clash but I don't own any Slammer IIII

My favorite rod to pair most these reels with for stripers is a, shhhhhhhhhhh, an ugly stick tiger lite. I stopped buying way overpriced rods when I tried a friends one trip. Great rod for 80 bucks as long as you can handle the looks from the "pros."

#3 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,291 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:00 AM

Yeah I care for my reels too. Will have spray but don't expect any deliberate dunking.
The new III reels claim to be better protected from water ingress. I used to be a shimano guy but the qualities slipped and my last couple of higher priced reels are daiwa. Tempted by the penn for something different or might stick with the daiwa as UK prices are about the same.
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#4 utyer

utyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,335 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 11:59 AM

I don't trust any reel or rod to be "salt water proof."  I fish a lot in Saltwater, and after EVERY trip, I thoroughly wash off all the guides, and real seats on any rod used.  Then I wash off any reel that left the car that day.  Every 2 or 3 months, I will disassemble and clean up the inside of my reels.  I saw way too much damage to all kinds of rods and reels when I was doing reel repair, and it was all from failure to clean them after use.  

Wash in HOT water to rinse off salt spray, even if the tackle wasn't used, but just exposed.  I strip my fly lines while washing the fly reels, and wash those in soapy hot water, and air dry.  I have never had to replace any tackle due to salt corrosion. 

If I ever dunk any tackle (and I have,) it get disassembled and cleaned with solvent, and re-lubed that night.   

"We have met the ememy, and he is us." Pogo by Walt Kelly

#5 Capt Bob LeMay

Capt Bob LeMay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:11 AM

"Non fly fishing gear" hmm.  Might know a bit about that since only about one quarter of my charters are "fly only"... 

You'll see today's fishing report separately and it will feature a rod I built myself... 

Tight lines Bob LeMay (954) 435-5666

#6 sandflyx

sandflyx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:17 AM

Only reel i ever had that salt water didn't get to in time is my alvey reels. I think i washed them once a year unless i dropped them in sand then i just rinsed them in the salt

sandfly/bob

www.facebook.com/bigmeadowsflyshop/

N.J.B.B.A. #2215
fly tying and fishing instructor/shop owner

"I TIE FROM BILLFISH TO GUPPIE FLY'S" !
Fly Fishing and Tying Ghillie