Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tctrout

E.P.'s Articulated Streamer

My newest video is out, featuring an articulated streamer. This is another dimension of fly fishing and tying, and one that really has enhanced my game over the last few seasons.

The pattern I share is considered my "base" and I'd love to see more of what everyone here ties in the style.

Enjoy!

TC

post-57957-0-64290200-1521759905_thumb.jpg Hi TC, great ty and video, I don't ty many jointed flies but when I do I like to hide that joint with whatever streamer material I'm using (this fly is done with the mad scientists stuff).

attachicon.gifFullSizeRender (77).jpg Hi TC, great ty and video, I don't ty many jointed flies but when I do I like to hide that joint with whatever streamer material I'm using (this fly is done with the mad scientists stuff).

Thanks for the kind words, and for sharing your thoughts. I will always place some marabou over the joint, but being that I'm using red beads, I want them to be seen (or at least acknowledged!) by the fish. I'm also using two hooks, which does change things a little. Maybe overkill, but my hooking percentage has increased since the change. What do you use as a connection?

Thanks again,

Tim

I use the same connection that you show in the video, much shorter loop of course, I leave just enough room for that tail to swing. Now you have me thinking about that 2nd hook though, to avoid short strikes.

Regarding missing the brown trout with one hook.

Do you think you would have had just as many hook ups by reducing the front length of the fly? This could be done using a shorter Shank for the front.

Regarding missing the brown trout with one hook.

Do you think you would have had just as many hook ups by reducing the front length of the fly? This could be done using a shorter Shank for the front.

That's a great question, though when I had the miss, it was a shank on the front that is shorter than the Hanak hook used in the video. It seems that there are lots of methods out there for articulated streamers, though this is the one I currently prefer. When talking to those who fish these articulated streamers on a regular basis, it's common to hear that not all of the fish are hooked; in my mind, this helps to slightly increase my chances (maybe?!?!) and I haven't seen the second hook causing damage to the fish. I also know that in various places, it's illegal to use two hooks, thus be sure to check the regulations before fly fishing.