Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Rocco

A Mickey Finn for Finnatics

Nice job. Great fly in warm water for Crappie and Bass. Also great in rivers that hold sauger. In cold water, this is one of the streamers I always have on hand. Bigger Brookies and Browns seem to love them.

Nice ! I learned to tie mine years ago from the Orvis Index of Fly Patterns book. In their version it has a little short red tail and I've always tied mine with that tag/tail on there made from red antron yarn ( a variation on the one above, otherwise identical).. I find it effective for fall brookies in Maine and May/June smallies/white perch locally. I just this year bought new replacement red and also yellow bucktail to continue tying these with.

It is also a great steelhead fly.

Finding good bright red bucktails is not easy. Lots of washed out ones on offer.

Rocco

I tend to play with the construction of a fly and keep the coloration. One of my favorites is a Micky Finn color scheme but the hair I use is arctic fox and the tie is a mini-clouser style with bead chain eyes on a silver, straight eyed streamer hook in sizes 10 to 14 for trout.

It is also a great steelhead fly.

Finding good bright red bucktails is not easy. Lots of washed out ones on offer.

Rocco

I got two new red tail cuts this year, One is almost blood red, quite dark, The other more accurate as a bright red but I think both can work.. These are Hare Line large northern bucktails I bought from J Stockard. The yellow I bought is perfect. but certainly neither of these reds could be classified as muted. I like fire engine red for my mickies. My old one was more tomato soup red but it worked for years so I'm not complaining.

On another note I never caught a salmon on a Mickey Finn but my son did, Maybe 18 or 20" land locked in the Moose River Rockwood Maine about 20 years ago.. We have caught many brook trout on them. 2-3lb smallies seem to like them too. I originally started tying this pattern for rainbows and browns locally but found other patterns to work better depending where i'm fishing. I tie a variant on the Black Nosed Dace that gets fish, multi species. Around here anyway that out fishes the mickey generally speaking.