Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

1 or 2 flies?

I have wondered if anyone has ever noticed this for awhile now?

I have been steelie fishing for quite awhile now and i "learned" to steelhead on the Pere Marquette river here in MI. It seems like 90% of the fishermen on the pm use 2 flies one as a point fly and one as a dropper usally the point fly is a egg and then the dropper is a nymph about 2' lower than the egg fly. Since thats were i started steelheading i have just always gone with 2 flys out of a force of habit but i can honestly only remember catching a handful of fish on the first or "attractor" fly most seem to come on the 2nd fly for me,just a coincedence or has anyone else ever noticed the same thing? dunno.gif

Just wondered because in the frezzing cold its nice not to have to tie anymore knots than is necesary wink.gif

SD

I've use a midge larva dropper with an egg fly pointer in the winter.

I seldom catch a fish on the egg however it does cause a few to slide over and get a better look.

My winter situation is mostly sight fishing, but you can't "watch" a #32 midge fly and I don't like bobber type indicators on slick water, so I concentrate on the egg fly which I rig 20-26 inches from the midge and use it as an indicator.

On the two fly subject.Does anyone tie the 2 to the same tippet or tie a trailer to the first fly on the hook bend? Just wondering if one way was better than the other? Rick

TT i always tie a seperate pc of mono to the hook bend i dont know how you would go about tying 2 flies to the same leader.....i'm sure theres probally a way but i havent done it.

SD

I like to use two until I find what they want. Two flies just give you a chance to go through your arsenal a little faster to find the right fly.

I like two flies when trouting also. I've been using a dry (usually a caddis or hopper) with a wet underneath it. The dry acts as an indicator. At time they will go after the dry too.

You don't have to put the second fly to the first if you are Chuck and Duck'n. Ray Schmidt found some barrell swivels made in England that are really small but rated to 25lb test. He does a sliding weight off the main leader with another barrell swivel at the end of the main leader. Tie in two pieces of leader material to the last barrell swivel. One piece is about 24" to 36". The other is about 6". Tie a fly to each piece of leader. When your flies hang up in the wood you only lose one fly instead of two.

I have used a dropper while fishing for steel in the Erie tribs.

I don't do any more, I find it snags more fish than it helps. These tribs are not very wide with

a few pools in the lower sections. Causing most of the fish to stack up like cord wood, any extra hooks just get in the way.

I did have two steelhead on at once, that was until one decided to go down while the other went up.

I do find it effective when dry fly fishing for trout.

TT,

Like SD I tie in at the bend of the point fly.

I have seen other rigs were its off the same piece of tippet.