Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ralphs007

Studs for waders?

I'm thinking of adding these to the sole of my fishing waders. http://koldkutter.com/products/kold-kutter-screws-size-8-1-2-3-8-1-1-25

Has anyone tried these and did they help? The rocks in the stream I fish all the time is coated with brown algae,and its deadly to walk on. I have felt on my soles but it doesn't help on this stuff.

I almost want down last week,and I still don't know how I stayed up.I'd love to see a video of my miracle recovery,Lol.

I use simple hex studs in mine. Don't last ages but are super cheap and I just keep replacing. Definitely need some studs for slimy rocks.

I use simple hex studs in mine. Don't last ages but are super cheap and I just keep replacing. Definitely need some studs for slimy rocks.

This is what I do and add a dab of shoe goo to the threads before I screw them in.

I also use self taping hex with a little shoe goo. Cost a few $. They definently help

Always used cheap sheet metal screws. Klud Kutter studs don't cost anymore. 250/20$ on eBay and Amazon guess I be buying a life time supply.

Almost everyone here in the Pacific Northwest uses studs, and I know lots of guys who use kold kutters and really like them. They're good on rocks covered in thick algae because you can change them out as soon as they get a little worn without going broke. Personally I've never had a screw in stud come out, and I hike many miles every season in mine and wade some seriously difficult water on rivers like the Deschutes and N Umpqua. I wear Simms or Patagonia boots, maybe they hold spikes better, I don't know. If you do have a problem with spikes coming out put a dab of gorilla glue on the screw. Make sure your felt is damp, though, GG is moisture activated and will hold better than if you put them into dry felt.

Make sure your felt is damp, though, GG is moisture activated and will hold better than if you put them into dry felt.

That's probably the difference. The falling out problem was in reference to sticky rubber soles.

This is what I do and add a dab of shoe goo to the threads before I screw them in.

Yup, Aquaseal works well too. Not really an issue, just carry a couple of extras.

Always used cheap sheet metal screws. Klud Kutter studs don't cost anymore. 250/20$ on eBay and Amazon guess I be buying a life time supply.

I ordered 250 for 16.50 with free shipping from Amazon last week.I used regular hex heads from Home Depot last week while waiting for my Amazon order to arrive.I screwed ten studs into each boot.Then I backed them 3/4 the way out,and put a dab of epoxy on each screw thread,and sent them home.I was amazed at how well these worked on my local stream! I just have to remind myself not to be too cocky,now that I have great traction,on slippery rocks.

The Kold Kutter screws came the other day,and these screws have a really aggressive screw head to them,and I can see why they're recommended so much.

Thanks to everyone for your help,I'm still a little amazed at how well these hex head screws work! I'll be applying the Kold Kutter to my new chest waders as soon as they arrive from L.L.Bean.My Cabala's chest waders ,decided that keeping my right foot dry was no longer important, tongue.png

That's great, except for the need for new boots. Screw in studs are such an improvement over the old style studs that were permanently installed in felts. The only serious drawback is they're sharp and can cut a flyline if you step on it. Believe me, I stepped on a new $80 line two weeks ago and cut it cleanly. And those were with spikes I've been using for over a year that are nowhere near as sharp as new ones.

That's great, except for the need for new boots. Screw in studs are such an improvement over the old style studs that were permanently installed in felts. The only serious drawback is they're sharp and can cut a flyline if you step on it. Believe me, I stepped on a new $80 line two weeks ago and cut it cleanly. And those were with spikes I've been using for over a year that are nowhere near as sharp as new ones.

Thanks for the heads up.Now when it happens,I can at least say I knew betterbiggrin.png

Try Drive IN Aluminum Rivets. You can get them with round heads which should be more forgiving to a line if it is stepped on. Aluminum sticks well to rocks.