Fly Tying

the wonderful Hellgrammite

The hellgrammite is the larvae form of the Alderfly or Dobson fly. The genus is so similar that we share incorporate one to the other for the sake of discussion.

The alderfly larvae, known to all and coveted by fish and anglers alike, is the hellgrammite. Hellgrammites are robust nymphs that vary is size ( one inch plus for the Alderfly and up to 4+ inches for the Dobson fly) and color, although the nymph is typically dark gray to an almost chocolate brown. These carnivorous and vicious larva will live for several years before they will leave the rocky streambeds to pupate in silt and mud along the banks. After the pupate, they will crawl from thier burrows as adults. Although both species are very poor fliers, they can be seen in full flight, but prefer to stalk around the banks for mates. As far as is known, Alder and Dobson flies have NO functioning mouth parts as adults.

Hellgrammites are of particular interest to the fly angler as most freshwater species will readily take hellgrammites in waters where they are found. Smallmouth bass and trout in particular will slam both nymph and adult imitations. Surprisingly, the hellgrammite is not regarded with as much esteem in Europe and is given little consideration by anglers, even fly anglers.

Live hellgrammties can be harveted easily with a seine net. Look for rocky riffles and flip these rocks over. The nymphs will get swept into the net and your ready to fish. If you harvest live hellgrammites, use some caution...these critters have nice thick mandibles that WILL leave a nasty little bite, even drawing blood.

Hellgrammites can be imitated with a variety of streamer and nymph patterns. Black woollybuggers, rabbit strip leeches, and Will's Rabbit Strip Hellgrammite are a few of my favorite hellgrammite patterns. Specific hellgrammite patterns are effective, but it has been my experience that only the MOST selective of trout will turn down the aforementioned flies when hellgrammites are active.

Caddis flies, Stimulators, and other big bulky dries are great adult imitations, but the nymph seems to be a fish's preference......

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?act...w&s=&showid=151

http://www.unl.edu/agnicpls/dobsonfly.html

Good info chris.......i once saw a episode of practical sportsman where fred trost was discussing them,he had a bunch of them on the ground and picked one up to show the camera and it bite him bugeyes.gif funniest damn thing i seen on that show laugh.gif

they are favorite drift bait for me.....have had them take a nice chunk outta the end of my fingers on more than one occassion....

Here is a nice photo that I found that shows a Hellgrammite in the water, they are defiently not for the faint of heart they do draw blood! They are my favorite bug to imitate for Smallmouth and they truly are the bad ass of the aquatic world gunsmilie.gif

user posted image

oh yes....they will, while nymphs, eat caddis, small crayfish, aquatic worms, snails, damsel and dragonnymphs, and even small minnows!!!!

Maybe somebody can answer this I was talking about this with a guy at work the other day. Where to the hellies go during the winter? I know they can live in the stream for 3 or 4 years yet it is impossible to sein them during the winter. I know that crayfish will seek deeper water for the winter but I don't see a hellie traveling that far they can't move as fast as crayfish. So I would have to guess that they burrow into the ground until the warmer temps arrive in the spring.

they do indeed burrow and find deeper holes in the pools to winter in...they are excellent and hearty swimmers and can relocate with relative ease...

They do burrow, and man like you guys said they do bite. Must be one of those "have to find out for myself" lessons that all fly fishers go through.

looks about the size of them, we actually measured one almost 6in. one time, Great fly to use on the Delaware

where i go smallie fishing you don't want to wet wade because between the hellgramites and the leeches, it'd ruin your day.

steve

Great idea for a forum subject.

Nice information Guys. I'm not sure I have ever seen many in these parts, but I do like to tie will version. Keep the great info coming.

Here's one I tied up a few years ago with the intentions of doing some river small-mouth fishing. I still haven't gotten out for smallies in any river, and I'd suspect somthing with a bit more action (like in the links above) would be the order for lake fishing. Might be worth a shot though. I'll post the recipe if anyone's interested.

user posted image

Al

Wow Al, that's sweet

I bet it was very labor intensive. I just scored some Mohair. I think it would do a nice job on the body. I'll have to give it a whirl.