Fly Tying
Patriot

Firehole Outdoors Is Having a Firesale

Received an email today from Firehole Outdoors about their pre-sale event.

I love their hooks and their prices. They're a mom-and-pop business that specializes in barbless hooks.

Check'em out. You could save some $$ on hooks. I'm in!

Thanks!

Today I received my first order of Firehole Outdoors hooks.

Of late I have been tying mostly TMC2488 #24 hooks and I have to be very careful to check the hook eye before I begin tying and during the tying process. I have some 30GA silver wire and have been using it to test the eye opening. Sometimes there is some blockage/residue in the eye which I clean out before I start. If the wire will not pass through the hook eye, I pitch the hook and grab another. This does not happen very often.

After the fly is complete, I insert the wire into the eye before I apply adhesive to the head to make sure glue does not get into the eye. I am sure everyone has their own way of doing this. If you do not tie small hooks then you do not have this problem.

After the FO hooks arrive I was anxious to tie a midge emerger. After the hook was in the vise I grabbed my silver wire and quickly realized that the eye of the FO hook was nearly half-again as large as the TMC2488 eyes. That put a huge smile on my mug. If this info was on their website I missed it.

This enlarged eye is important to me for another reason: I prefer the Trilene knot to fasten my tippet to the hook because of its inherent strength. I use 7x tippet material so knot strenght is extremely important to me. The Trilene knot requires that the tippet pass through the hook eye twice. I'm not sure if this would be possible with the TMC2488 hooks, but I know there would be no problem tying this knot with the FO hooks.

This Rio video demos the most popular tippet-to-hook knots including the Trilene knot. While they say it is not a scientific test, it is good enough for me. If you are interested in learning more about these knots check out the video.

Thanks!

I bought some Firehole hooks on their original presale when they launched, and have been very impressed.

If I didn't have such a massive hook collection already I'd be ordering some more from them. But I just can't justify spending the money right now.

(I know, there's not really such thing as too many hooks, but....)

My Firehole 413 #20 were 50 hooks for $10. That works out to about $0.20 / hook or 20¢ / hook.

J. Stockard sells TMC2488 hooks for $7.45 / 25 hooks. I use a lot of 2488's which is why I picked that hook. These hooks come out to $0.298 / hook or approximately 30¢ / hook.

From that it seems that the Firehole Sticks are about 33% cheaper that Stockard's 2488. Are we comparing apples to apples? I'm not sure, but what I am sure of is that I save $$ when I purchase Firehole Stick hooks.

They are more than half the price of Umpqua Comp. hooks and less expensive to varying degree than the following comp. hooks.

Hanak

Dohiku

Fulling Mill

Gamakatsu

Hends

Knapek

Soldarini

Wizard

These are the type of hooks that the Firehole should be compared with.

I like the looks of the Firehole hooks, but I prefer $7 per 100 pack from wholesaleflycompany.com. I've bought 100's of their dry fly, wet fly, nymph and streamer hooks and they're all comparable to much more expensive name brand hooks.

I like the looks of the Firehole hooks, but I prefer $7 per 100 pack from wholesaleflycompany.com. I've bought 100's of their dry fly, wet fly, nymph and streamer hooks and they're all comparable to much more expensive name brand hooks.

I cannot argue with $7/100 hooks.

Where is the wholesaleflycompany at? I can find zero info on their website. Their Contact page does not list an address or even a phone number. I find that very odd.

$3.85 per 50 hooks.

s-l225.jpg

$3.65 per 50 hooks

s-l225.jpg

$3.65 for 50 hooks

s-l225.jpg

comparable to the euro brands

You made the point of the eye being larger but you first talked about 24 hooks and Firehole doesn't have anything smaller than 20. You mention comparing apples to oranges but isn't that what you're doing with the eyes of the hooks? If I was tying for my own use I'd order the oversize eyed hooks from Orvis to make sure I could get a tippet through.

I might try an order of Firehole in sizes I'd use to see if quality is worth the extra price IMO.

ps...Something I'd add about any modern hooks is stickiness of the points. I recently bought a bunch of old hooks in different styles and the points leave something to be desired. Will be like going back to the old days of sharpening hooks before you can use them.

I cannot argue with $7/100 hooks.

Where is the wholesaleflycompany at? I can find zero info on their website. Their Contact page does not list an address or even a phone number. I find that very odd.

http://www.wholesaleflycompany.com/

Hi Bryon,

Do they have any sample packs. They are certainly cheap.