Fly Tying
Peddler

Microfibbet options?

Except for the tiniest of flies I feel microfibbets are too fine to represent mayfly tails. Sure I can use more than one per tail but then whats the point?

I use cul de canard and other feather products got tails but would really like to find maxifibbets. Something thick enough to really represent mayfly tails but is also durable, floats and readily and cheaply available.

So you know, I find paint brush bristles so stiff the fly can be pushed out of the fishs mouth. China boar bristles are just about perfect but theres way too much waste picking out those with split ends.

What is your favorite tailing material for medium to large bmayflies?

Thanks

Sure I can use more than one per tail but then whats the point?

Mayflies have three tails...🙄

Find the cheapest Halloween wig you can find. (Dollar Tree comes to mind)

Fine fibers of nylon that are slightly larger diameter than the microfibbets I have.

For large dries I like moose mane for the tailing.

I use microfibbets for size 14 and smaller flies. Rather than buying fly tying "microfibbets" I buy the identical material at JoAnnes, or Michael, or Hobby Lobby.

Microfibbets are the fibers from artist's paint brushes. I wait until there is a coupon for JoAnns, Michaels, or Hobby Lobby, then buy a wide flat brush.

You can color them with a permanent marker if you buy the white brushes. I buy the one below and cut off the handle.

Note the tiny parachute fly below with the fan tail of paint brush fibers. Also note that I have cut fibers off the left side of the paint brush. Since the fibers are lined up on the brush, there is no need to "stack" the fibers before tying them in.

23681194458_5af4098793_z.jpg

loew-cornell_4000_long_lg.gif

sax-true-flow-multi-purpose-white-taklon

Moose body hair

Moose mane

Pecarry

Deer hair

Elk hair

Spade hackle

Squirrel tail hairs

Bucktail

You might try badger from a shaving brush.
I've been using it for a few years now and it works well.

s-l1600.jpg

Kimo

My thoughts on this might be off base, but in my opinion tails on a dry fly are mostly for balancing the fly as it rides in the film, not to give the fish the impression that thing on the water is groceries because it has 2 or 3 tails. Tying flies with any of the suggestions given can make an effective fly, and I plan to try that shaving brush thing thanks.

I get the impression you want to get the realism of 2 or 3 fibers with the stabilizing effect of a splayed bunch of stiff fibers. This is probably not neccessary and even with a "perfect" material would be mostly an exercise in fly tying rather than an improvement over traditional tailing methods. Trout don't count tails. Real mayfly tails would work poorly for riding a dry fly on top, but a sunken butt might look more natural to a fish.

Because you asked I most often use dry fly hackle stripped from feathers too large to use for regular hackle, maybe a dozen or so fibers, whatever looks right to me...

If I were to suggest you try one material matching your description of "maxitails" it would be Mayfly True Tails from fly tyers dungeon. I have some in PMD and they are nice to work with and more coarse than microfibbets.

Agree with Dubs on the theory of fiber count. Mayflies don't have a bent hunk of iron running through their bodies or their tails would have evolved to have more than 2 or 3. A #16 down to #22 could probably float well with 6 or less, #12 and 14 I usually use 8-10. It is more important to splay the fibers than to count them. If they are in a tight bundle, they do less to float the fly than if they splay out similar to the real mayfly. If I have hair or hackle, I use hair or hackle. I don't like using synthetic if I can avoid it. Personal opinion, not saying anyone is wrong for using it.

This thread got me to thinking, which is usually a bad thing. I Googled mayflies and got a whole host of images.

What I noticed is when at rest some mayflies have their tails splayed and some don't. Some hold their tails up and others let them lay on the surface they rest on.

So what does it matter what type of tail I use? Why even bother to tie in a tail at all if I use synthetic dubbing or a foam body?

Depending on the species of mayfly, phase in the life of the mayfly, the surface tension of the water, still vs. current, and if the insect is preparing for flight, the tails may be held in different ways. What you use for tailing material is completely up to you. You do you. You can go by the materials called out in the pattern if you're a strict traditionalist, or use natural materials when possible if that suits you. You can use whiskers from the neighbor lady's cat if you want. It's interesting how many different perspectives you can get when asking a forum a question like, "What is the best...".

I have a theory about "dry" flies.

Have you ever found that after your "dry" fly has caught a few fish, it becomes a more effective fish catcher? It looks less perfect for a dry fly and "floats" lower in the film. The tail does not support the back end of fly as well, perhaps the tail fibers are bent or crushed. The rear of the fly sinks into the film.

Your "dry" fly has now become an emerger. Some of the most effective flies during a mayfly or caddis hatch are patterns the do not float "high and dry" but rather are designed as film flies that are in the film like the parachute adams or an x-caddis.