Fly Tying

This "flash minnow candy" uses a flexible UV curing resin for the body shape of the fly. Instead of using hard curing resin which doesn't feel realistic, and is prone to cracking/breaking. This will be more durable, and utilizing a flashy material, it will shine brilliantly in the water. This fly is great for both fresh and saltwater fish.

Hook: Gamakatsu SS15 size 2
Tail fiber: Unique hair - clear/white
Flash fiber: Starburst dubbing - pearl, holographic silver, jet black
Eyes: 3D 4mm eyes
Eye adhesive: Fletch Tite
Body Resin: Solarez "flex" UV curing resin
Thread: Danville clear monofilament thread - Fine

That fly is tied just like some of the guys around here tie up sand eels, just different colors.

Yeah? Are they a bit longer for sand eels? I could be wrong, but I always see sand eel patterns being quite long.

We have small sand eels in the creeks here, maybe 3-3-1/2 inches long or so. Silversides size ( that was an old pattern they/we used to use around here years back).

I like the video incidentally !

We have small sand eels in the creeks here, maybe 3-3-1/2 inches long or so. Silversides size ( that was an old pattern they/we used to use around here years back).

Oh wow! Small eels... well I'm not sure the color they are, but they make some starburst dubbing in browns and greens (normal eel colors). Maybe it could be a good pattern for small eels. Maybe less material so it's thinner?

Thanks!

Oh wow! Small eels... well I'm not sure the color they are, but they make some starburst dubbing in browns and greens (normal eel colors). Maybe it could be a good pattern for small eels. Maybe less material so it's thinner?

Thanks!

Silver hues on the sides basically, olive over the back. Further up the creeks are lighter greens , almost olive, down by the mouth of the creek darker, like peacock herl shades. These things flash in the water ( the real ones) and they come in by the hundreds . Schoolie bass love them, as did the sea run back when we still had sea run trout. Our big canal out here has them as well in the summer months. That's not brackish water in there, where the creeks have fresh water way up inside and brackish etc .

My understanding is that they are not really related to "Eels" but more a sub species of some small fish.

Thanks!

Silver hues on the sides basically, olive over the back. Further up the creeks are lighter greens , almost olive, down by the mouth of the creek darker, like peacock herl shades. These things flash in the water ( the real ones) and they come in by the hundreds . Schoolie bass love them, as did the sea run back when we still had sea run trout. Our big canal out here has them as well in the summer months. That's not brackish water in there, where the creeks have fresh water way up inside and brackish etc .

My understanding is that they are not really related to "Eels" but more a sub species of some small fish.

Well, I know for a fact that starburst dubbing has some dark olive colors, and some light olive as well. Can probably tie them up in the right colors for the eel imitations... so where is this body of water?

http://www.flytyersdungeon.com/Materials/Chart_StarBurst_Dubbing.htm

Take a look at there color list there. They have a darker "peacock" and golden pecock color, also olive, and PMD olive.

Great video.I have never used the starburst dubbing but i really like the looks of it in a fly.I can see my local bass and crappie loving this one.

Is the mono thread any different to use than danville nylon's or other threads for like the whip finish?Just curious....have not tried it yet.

Thanks!

Well, I know for a fact that starburst dubbing has some dark olive colors, and some light olive as well. Can probably tie them up in the right colors for the eel imitations... so where is this body of water?

Take a look at there color list there. They have a darker "peacock" and golden pecock color, also olive, and PMD olive.

All around Cape Cod actually but I'm mostly familiar with the bay side of the cape and estuaries and east end of the canal when it comes to these little critters. I haven't fish out around the outside of the cape in decades.

I tied up something very similar to use as a teaser above a fluke jig and it outperformed the baited jig head - couldn't keep the sea bass off of it

Lol, funny how fish act sometimes....

Thanks!

All around Cape Cod actually but I'm mostly familiar with the bay side of the cape and estuaries and east end of the canal when it comes to these little critters. I haven't fish out around the outside of the cape in decades.

Cool! I lived in Pennsylvania until I was 8 or so. That's kinda up that way... never fished cape cod though. It's cold up there yet? I'm in northern NM/southern CO and it's starting to cool down here quick. Nights reaching 40's now but the days are still 60's/70's. soon it will get to below 0 at night and below 20 in the day. So how's the fishing up that way?

Cool! I lived in Pennsylvania until I was 8 or so. That's kinda up that way... never fished cape cod though. It's cold up there yet? I'm in northern NM/southern CO and it's starting to cool down here quick. Nights reaching 40's now but the days are still 60's/70's. soon it will get to below 0 at night and below 20 in the day. So how's the fishing up that way?

Fishing can be be very good here, it helps to have a boat. We also have very decent kettle ponds and spring fed ponds here with excellent trout fishing this time of year and warm water species in the summer ( two stage ponds). We are considerably north and east of Penn, Mc Fly. We get weird weather patterns, this place can't decide to be warm and humid or like Canada LOL. This brings tempered weather compared to inland New England generally, but windy. We get our share of cold fronts too. About 2 years ago we got a really nasty winter with record cold and snow fall, I had 4 ft drifts in the back yard but often our snow turns to rain here. We jut out into the ocean and that plays a huge roll in our weather. i could go on describing the area but you got to live in it to understand it.