Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Guess what....a 2wt

yckSUo.jpg
DblqFk.jpg
23JMqU.jpg
V1dCIL.jpg

Feel like I've built a million of these 2wt's lately lol. This 6'6" 2wt 4pc Shx is just off the bench and ready to go this morning. Gunmetal seat with black wraps and metallic silver trim give it a really nice clean look.

I love how sleek this looks!

Steve, you would think tenkara would cut into 2wt. demand but it looks like it hasn,t phased it one bit..i,m guessing that it,s for the same fish in small streams..no?

I don't think tenkara will ever affect the desire for conventional fly rods IMO. While tenkara has its place and is liked by some, the vast majority of fly anglers will never get away from true fly casting so I haven't noticed any change in the need for certain wt/size rods over the years.

Yep these little 66 2wts are small stream specialties. One of these little rods in a 20ft wide stream during a morning trio hatch go hand in hand.

that,s interesting Steve..i really enjoy bluegill fishing with a 4# rod, so i tried a 3# rod..what a difference 20 grains makes..i did not like it at all..in the slightest wind you had to back off your distance to have any kind of control, a 2# is out of the question on these open ponds or like you say get out early morning before the wind kicks up..lol..Thanks.

You think that's bad you should see some of the rods I have lined up for work next week. bunch of 1wt's. The tip on the 1wt blanks are so small I had to special order some tip tops for them because I don't usually stock tip tops under 4.0 tube size and the 1wt blank is a 3.5 tube blink.png

They have their place though, just not in the wind or on bigger open water. Lots of fun when you hook a 12" trout in a small sheltered stream though, feels like a 20" smallie.

I'm not even sure I've held a 1wt or 2wt!I imagine it's like a handful of air!

that,s interesting Steve..i really enjoy bluegill fishing with a 4# rod, so i tried a 3# rod..what a difference 20 grains makes..i did not like it at all..in the slightest wind you had to back off your distance to have any kind of control, a 2# is out of the question on these open ponds or like you say get out early morning before the wind kicks up..lol..Thanks.

Ben,

I fish a lot with a 3 wt. and have never had issues with it. Mind you I tend to fish mornings before wind becomes an issue. Steve I would love to try out a 1 wt. but I'm too cheap to buy one. I think it would feel like waving your arm without a rod in your hand but a 12" brookie on a rod like that would definately feel like a 20" smallie. H#ll I've had 12 " brookies on my 3 wt. that felt like a big smallmouth.

Les

I'd like to try one of those 10 foot 2 or 3 weights ... but I can't imagine a 1 weight rod, either.

Distance-wise, I'm thinking ... bathtub. Or maybe your garden pond or big aquarium, Steve !!!

That rod looks great. I have a little 6' bamboo rod called "The Wisp" that was made in England. It cast s 3 wt beautifully. I tried a 2 wt Sylk line on it and it wouldn't cast it at all. I thought it would be great with a 2 wt, but not so. Go figure.

Joe

Hi Joe..if you go up or down one line size on a 6# you only change the load on the rod by 8% but if you do it to a 3# you change the casting load by about 20%..big difference..plus it,s only a 6'rod so you can,t carry much more than 30'..

I usually use a 9'10 4wt Mike it's a lot of fun for small fish or medium ones in more open water but no muscle to fight the big bass when you have to muscle then at all.

I have a 10 2wt that Steve built its lined with a 3wt. It bombs casts. Its one of my favorite rods to fish. I dont mind casting into the wind so long as the fly isnt that heavy. I do cast flies with bead chain eyes. I fish it from a boat. Biggest fish to date on it is a 5 or 6lb channel cat.