Fly Tying
Fishypieter

Sand Flexo Crab

Hi Guys

does anybody have a step by step for the Flexo Sand Crab.

Google can.t help me. seems to be stupid on this one.

any help will be appreciated.

Thank

Pieter

9383.jpg

The legs are sililegs, knotted for claws. Pretty sure the body is similar to hends ez body, shape with fingers and then epoxy/UV resin/flex coat to hold.

Googling flex crab shows the pattern is designed to be used with a specific body net material called Flyfex Flexo body. I stand by using EZ body or similar meshed body and some resin for similar effect.

Yeah, any of that stretchy tube stuff should do the job. I've got a bunch of no-brand nylon tubing I found on eBay - it was cheap and works fine. I believe the legs are actually chenille, colored with a marking pen; the tips have been touched with a flame to avoid unraveling. There has to be some kind of weight on the belly for it to ride with the hook point up. Looks like it might be dumbbells, but it's hard to tell from the picture. I'm sure the eyes are plastic beads on monofilament; glass would be too heavy for the fly to swim correctly.

Yep Peter, chenille with ends flamed. Looks much better on comp monitor than the phone screen.

Yeah it does look good as a crab pattern. Could possible make some good prawn flies the same way.

The material is available from flyflex.com. They also have a video available. I don't have a SBS, but when I bought the material, I bought it in too large a size and its a pain to shape on smaller hooks. I believe the finished fly was available from Orvis, but don't know if they still stock it. The way I tied it was just from pictures on the web. Buddy is in Belieze now trying them out.

GOOGLE FLEXO Forward SBS for a version. Very similar to the way I tied mine except I did not use an underbody, and just used rubber legs forthe appendages. Looks like he used 3/16 fly flex which is what I have and used. Would consider 1/8 which is what I believe was used in your illistration, Fishypieter. Looks finer and may be easier to construct the body.

Doug