Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Easy tape measures....

An easy way to insure you are never under size limits is to mark of length increments on your rod with red thread. Simply wind the thread on the rod, but thinly...you don't want it interferring with the loading of the line, and coat very thinly with epoxy or head cement....I do this to all my rods, marking off twelve inches for the bass and 20 inches for the big browns!! Anyone else have a trick like this?? Share!

On the my rods I use most frequently, the reel seat is 3 inches long, the grip 7 inches, and the hook holder is 2 inches in front of the grip. That covers a good portion of the fish I catch. I carry a small measuring tape to handle anything that's longer than that. If the fish reaches the first stripping guide, I automatically keel over in a dead faint.

The thread sounds kinda neat - I've done, and seen done, gold, silver, white, etc., paint pen markings on rods, with a coat of finish over the pen chinks-

Gee, BDH - I'd have thought you would come up with a Seamstress' Tape - seeing as you have that nifty handbag and all... rolleyes.gif

Actually, D, I do...I use it to measure girths and overall lengths for weight estimates.....smart alec..... mad.gif biggrin.gif

I build my trout fly rods so the wraps from the hook keeper to the reel seat is 8 inchs and to the end of the reelseat will be 12 inchs.

On my steelhead Fly rods the cork grip will be a inch longer also the reel seat will be a 1/2 longer and with including a fighting butt grip which will make the wrap for hook keeper and the butt end of the grip 16 inchs.

OSD.

I carry a tape measure. wink.gif

However... when I bait fish using my minnow bucket, I have a string tied to the bucket that is 15" long, with a mark at 12". That's because Walleye must be 15" to keep, and Sauger 12". Bass have to be one or the other depending on the body of water.

When I'm doing catch and release, which is probably 95% of my fishing or more, I rarely bother to measure if I have my camera. Besides, I've noticed that without the deleterious effects of a tape measure upon the body of the fish, it increases in size every time you tell someone about it!

Sign in to follow this