Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

threaders......

Everyone, I'm sure, is well aware of the handiness of a threader. threaders simplify our tasks at the bench as well as at streamside. But I have been often asked, "Which threader is the right threader?"....the answer of course is all of them, and none of them. Threaders are commercially available in any fly shop or mail order catlog. They vary in materials used to make the threader to different sizes to general use, and specific use. I only use a threader to apply rubber legs to poppers and hair bugs. I use a $.35 threader bought at a craft shop. Now granted, it is cheaply made and you run the risk of pulling it apart if you try to force the legging material, but it is what I prefer. I use this same threader to thread midges at stream side, and always carry a spare in my fly box.

Now, let's dicuss the actual materials used in a threader. I have used threaders that were simply stiff monofilament. I have used threaders that were made from old guitar and piano wire(which I really liked, but you can often nick the materials you are intending to thread if not careful), to dental bridge threaders bought at Rite-Aid and Walgreens. I have used threaders made from nylon, and even an old paper clip. Threaders are not limited to any material at all. If you decide to make your own threader, use your imagination.

I suppose the answer to the frequently asked question "Which threader is the right one?"...is simple...find one you like and use it....there is no wrong or right threader. Find one that does the job you want it to do, and be happy!!!!!

Sign in to follow this