Fly Tying
FlatsRoamer

Sponsored!

Hey guys, well I just got sponsored by an outdoors apparel company!

Withering Wilds sent me a free shirt to start, then maybe more depending on how I do. This is my first time with this kind of thing, so any tips are appreciate!

post-59033-0-80444200-1479959306_thumb.jpg

If you're serious you need to give your sponsor lots of good exposure. So lots of social media wearing that T-shirt. Remember that your hobbies meant to be fun so don't let it become a chore.

Here's my .02

As a sponsored 3d archer I have had my ups and downs with sponsors.

Questions to ask.

What exactly are they sponsoring you for? Tying videos? Shows? Ect.

How are they sponsoring you? Free t shirt hardly seems like sponsorship to me, more like free advertising for them.

Are they going to cover some material costs for the videos your making wearing their shirt? Now that would be sponsoring.

In archery I have several sponsors and have turned down a bunch because of their expectations vs their contribution.

An arrow company has a patch on my jersey and they give me 2 doz arrows a year to do so. Another company pays travel to certain competitions and in exchange im at their tent when not shooting helping out and answering questions.

If its just some free gear to wear in a video great.

A free tee-shirt is a sponsor? We use to call that just a free tee-shirt. I guess times have changed.

Congratulations Flats, it is a modest start, but it is a good start, and proves you are doing many things correctly. Keep working to improve those videos. Carry on

Poopdeck, nevermind, your not worth it

Guys, this is from my Instagram page. I just promote their products with my posts...

Flats, not sure if you've had a previous problem with poopdeck, but if your saying hes not worth it just for his comment here thats not cool,

Hes kind of right. Giving someone a shirt with there logo on it is usually your end of the deal not your gain from the deal.

For you to say to your viewers that they are a sponsor they really should be sponsoring some form of your tying or video/ photo. You asked for advice in your post thats what you are getting. Its great you got some free swag but maybe push them a little harder and say well technically im just advertising for you.

Flats, Sorry, but it's not a sponsorship it's just a free tee shirt. Sucks when people don't tell you what you want to hear huh. Get over yourself you have lots to learn and you need to learn to accept what you sometimes need to hear.

Sponsered for doing what? Sorry if i might sound mean Flats, but i like you for your inthusiasm with flyfishing & flytying, but i think your trying to do everything to quick! Save something for later! Maybe learn to walk before trying to run? You should want this flyfishing & flytying thing to be a long road & not get sick of it before you can even drink beer or smoke! I'm with Poopdeck, i've been given free t-shirts from Guideline & Lamson, free flyline from G.Loomis, clothing from flyshops with their logo, materials from famous flytyers to try, free thread & silk from my local flyshop that didn't have a price, that dosen't mean i'm sponsered by all those companys & people, it's just free stuff! Free advertising for companys is cheap! If they give it for free & you like it or their product? Then wear it, if not? We always need rags around the house!

Chill out guys.

I concur, it's not entirely a sponsorship unless they're paying you or consistently giving you products for your promotions. If it continues, it could turn into a spinsorship/pro staff kind of thing.

But it's still cool! Most fly fishermen don't get free shirts. Congrats Flats, hope it keeps progressing for you

Sponsered for doing what? Sorry if i might sound mean Flats, but i like you for your inthusiasm with flyfishing & flytying, but i think your trying to do everything to quick! Save something for later! Maybe learn to walk before trying to run? You should want this flyfishing & flytying thing to be a long road & not get sick of it before you can even drink beer or smoke! I'm with Poopdeck, i've been given free t-shirts from Guideline & Lamson, free flyline from G.Loomis, clothing from flyshops with their logo, materials from famous flytyers to try, free thread & silk from my local flyshop that didn't have a price, that dosen't mean i'm sponsered by all those companys & people, it's just free stuff! Free advertising for companys is cheap! If they give it for free & you like it or their product? Then wear it, if not? We always need rags around the house!

Adam, that is solid advice, we can all follow

It's Thanksgiving guys, how about giving the pissing match a rest and just chill out okay. If someone is happy with what they gave him then let him be happy. Advice is fine but lets stop the bickering.

No pissing match here.

My concern is that someone might be taking advantage of an impressionable young man.