Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Alex C.

Question on starting to wrap ribbing forward

Okay, I tie in the tail, tie in the rib, then wrap the abdomen forward. Now it's time to wrap the rib, wire in this case. Alot of times when I am making the first couple turns of wire, the tial will roll torwrds whatever side of the shank that I am turning it. I think this is either because, A-I might not be tying in the tail tight enough, I doubt this though. B-I might be tying in the rib to close to the tail. Or is it something else? Antone have a suggestion I could try to prevent this from happening? It doesn't happen all of the time, probably 1 out of 4 times. I just haven't figured out what I am doing wrong when it does happen and want to prevent it. Thanks

When you tie in the tail start attaching it arround the middle of the shank on top, then wrap rearward to where it is going to be attached. Make 4 firm wraps at this point and secure it. ( can half hitch and cement) Spiral wrap your thread forward to the middle of the shank and attach the wire rib there, on the bottom of the shank, wrap over the rib in the same way to just before the tail tie in point, and secure it with 4 firm wraps of thread, then wrap forward in tight back to back wraps making a smooth underbody or taper. Should help.

Hi OLB,

I suggest tying in the rib material first anchoring it to the bottom of the hook with very tight wraps, then tie in the tail fibers using as much tension on the thread as you consider appropriate. Let us know if this helps.

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Al's tip is a good one, I will try that next time.

When using copper wire, I like to tie it in, then before wrapping, bring it forward along the hook to crease the wire at the tie in point. then I proceed to wrap around like normal. This gives it a nice clean look, without twisting too much.

Joe

After tying in the wire, I like to make my first turn with whatever the body material is behind the wire. I think this would solve your problem, also makes for a neat looking fly. The same technique works for palmered hackle.

Good Day,

Good suggestions all. Sometimes, if the wire is particularly obstinate, I will secure it with the wire pointing at a slight angle away from the hook in the direction that I plan to wrap the wire. Therefore, I am "forcing" the wire to start heading in the direction I want with less chance of it wanting to ball up on the end.

Steelie

Not sure if this is a fix but I usually tie in right beside the tail nice and tight and with my first wrap go forward and then down if you get what I mean. I only seem to have a problem when I bunch up to much material when I dubbed the body. Then it wants to slide and wrap the tail instead of up the body.

4 feet of duct tape and a pound of super glue works for me ever time!!!! :D I tie in a good solid base of tread then I attach the rib on the side Im going to wrap it to I suppose the bottom is the same deal. so my first wrap has no twist it starts on the side im going to wrap to. then I tie in the tail add duct tape and glue. :lol: always have a 5 gallon pal or asatone (sp) ready after you do the glue!!! trust me!!!! :hyst: