Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutguy#1

Bead Chain Eyes

One other little trick is when you cut them do it in side a clear plastic baggie. You won't lose any and you can still see what you're doing.

Every two beads cut the wire between the beads. I use a small pair of wire cutters or a pair of craft scissors to cut the bead chain.

Mark Delaney

I tie them on first with one bead on the near side of the shaft and the remainder of the chain hanging over the other side, then clip of behind the bead, removing excess chain, when there is enough wraps of thread to hold them there. I use a my work horse scissors, I then secure them with tight figure 8 wraps, then glue if necessary. I do this as I find it is easy to hold the whole chain, to tie on and to store the chain in a coil.

Hi Troutguy#1,

I'm with Joe on this one, I tie them on then cut off the excess. He's right, it's easier to hang on to them. Also you can cut "one" bead from a chain and slip it on a hook to make a bead head fly. The bead from the chain is hollow so it doesn't provide much weight. I used to buy "open" bead chain beads before they are pinched onto the links to make chain. They were handy to pinch on a fly in the field to convert it from standard to bead head. I tried selling those open beads as a product but they never caught on. That was back in the early 90's before bead head flies had gotten as popular as they are today. It's funny! In 1990 it was tough to find a bead head in a fly fisher's fly box. In 2000 (10 short years later) it was tough to find fly boxes without bead heads. I wonder what 2010 will bring? Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

I too use a pair of small dikes to cut the chain between the eyes. Imount them on the hook in pairs with one of the most helpful tools in my collection :

My Bead Nabber made by Jade River Enterprises (From Oregon , I believe)

I started out with a Medium which was good for any sized Bead Chain and later found a Small size that works exellant for the tiniest eyes on my mayfly midges.

After you cut your bead chain, check the little holes for burrs or rough edges. Sometimes they need to be filed a little to smooth them so they wont' nick your tippet and lead to a brek off.

Chip

I use my multitool to cut the beadchain. You know your a Jeeper when you keep at least 1 multitool next to your bed( where my fly tying stuff is) and use it at least 3 times a week.