Fly Tying
missin44

Louisiana Redfish Flies - Top 3 or 4?

I'm looking for suggestions of a few Louisiana redfish flies. I'm fishing the Venice area in June. My guide provides all flies, however I want to try a few patters and give them a shot just for fun. He suggested size wise 2/0's or 3/0's, tied ~5 to 6" in length. His "go to" fly is a variation of Dan Blanton's Whistler or a fly called "Willie The Pimp". Not a lot of info online about "Willie", at least that I can find (Was Frank Zappa a fly fisherman?). He likes flies that push a lot of water. Though water conditions dictate fly selection (crab, shrimp, baitfish) and color, he also suggested big crab patters that move some water for large black drum. 95% of the flies I find online are for smaller reds, very little on the size flies he suggests for bullreds & black drum.

With that said how about a 2 or 3 suggestions that might be in the ballpark of what I'm looking for? (Please no deer hair, I plan on posting a separate thread on Willie the Pimp)

Maybe tie something with a dragon tail (or similar), brush, lead eyes. It'll push water and move nicely. 3 materials as well...

Don't overthink it

These flys works for me in Venice.....

These have names?
No names that I'm familiar with. If you want a recipe shoot me an [email protected] Sorry for the late reply but stripers are in.

I don't know anything about Louisiana, but the reds hammer these here in Virginia. If I had only one fly to carry it would be one of the two stuck in the cork.

post-281-0-51050300-1525180888_thumb.jpg

post-281-0-50558000-1525181081_thumb.jpg

post-281-0-00229100-1525181128_thumb.jpg

Peterjay, what is the wing on the first fly? Is the hook bent? Also is it weighted?

FB - the wing is bucktail with flash and peacock herl. (a few fish will tear up the herl pretty well, but I just like the looks of it; you can always substitute dark bucktail or dark flash) Hook is ever-so-slightly bent. Body & head are built up with sewing thread soaked with cement, followed by gold metallic thread (from Walmart) and a coat of gold glitter acrylic paint (also from Walmart) and a couple of coats of Liquid Fusion. Eyes are acrylic paint. Sometime I weight them, but usually not. The water on the flats here is rarely more than knee-deep, so weight isn't really necessary. It might sound a little complicated, but I always make up a bunch of bodies and eyes in advance and tie the flies in steps, assembly-line style. Gold is my favorite color, but copper with a reddish-brown wing is probably just as effective. BTW - the metallic thread Walmart sells also comes in copper and silver, and is great stuff. (and cheap) That's also where I get my mono thread. The glitter paint is colored in the bottle but it dries clear, comes in a zillion colors, and costs less than a dollar a bottle.