Fly Tying

Im Terry, from Decatur, TX "Eighter from Decatur, County Seat of Wise". This saying came around during WWII. It was a way that locals from Decatur had of identifying where they were from. I think there was even a song produced in Nashville about it.

I have been attempting to tie flies now off and on for about 15 years, but only really sat down and started studying the art about a year and half ago. I am medically disabled due to Short Bowel Syndrome, 17 years ago an er doctor f******* up and didn't do his job right. This resulted in a blockage blowing out. Three major operations i live with only 20 percent of my intestines total. Its not an easy life but by the grace of God, I am still here and doing my best to enjoy life.

I am looking to meet someone who has been tying for a while who would be willing to mentor me.

My email address is [email protected]

Welcome. Your in luck because there are no mysteries in flytying anymore. You can be tutored by the best on YouTube. There's also some of the best right here that will be glad to offer suggestions and pointers. Is this a business opportunity your venturing into?

Welcome to the site, tcustomflies.

There's a whole forum of tutorials right here on this site.

Good luck.

Make sure to post pictures and ask lots of questions about your flies. When I was first starting out, I was super "rebellious" and probably was a jerk, but I did listed to what these forum members had to say and now I am able to sell my flies on a consistent basis. I am 16 now, and have been tying for about 2-3 years, somewhere in that range. My point is to not be afraid or embarrassed, because every single person who is good at tying flies was once terrible at it. It's not like one of those things where you "are born with it". This takes time, effort, and a whole lot of patience. Instead of having 1 mentor with 1 point of view, you will have a whole bunch ready to help you.

Welcome to the site, hope you stick around!

Flats