Fly Tying
robbor

Spools/bobbins for splitting floss

I want to split some pearsall floss for tying. I split about 6 feet no problem, so I think I can split it in to 20' long pieces or so. But I dont have any empty spools. And the plastic sewing bobbins have a notch I dont want to run on my renzetti bobbin and score the spool holder. And ideas for spools to hold floss that's split into 6 or 9 strands?

And the plastic sewing bobbins have a notch I dont want to run on my renzetti bobbin and score the spool holder.

i'm not sure what that means ???

wrap the split floss around a dowel

sewing machine bobbins and midge bobbin holders

midge-bobbin.jpg

you can buy wooden spools online or at your local big box craft store

il_fullxfull.425931977_qxi9_600x.jpeg

Simple matter to wind that floss on top of an existing spool of thread/floss (wind on just one side of the spool so you can see the other thread or floss underneath..... If you do enough tying you'll always have some empty spools kicking around.

Theoretically, you can use the same spool the multi-stranded floss came from. Dividing the strands does not add floss. You'll end up with the same volume of floss on there as you started....

Personally, I don't use a floss bobbin. I cut off a small piece, get as many strands as I want from it at that point, and use my fingers to lay it on flat, sometimes turning it onto the hook with my rotary vise.

You were talking earlier about getting a midge bobbin. Maybe that's the issue with not wanting the spool to hurt the spool holder? If you've got a midge bobbin I'd use that for the Pearsall's silk thread, not the floss.

And the plastic sewing bobbins have a notch I dont want to run on my renzetti bobbin and score the spool holder.

sewing machine bobbins and midge bobbin holders

midge-bobbin.jpg

I have been using these sewing machine bobbins on my Frank Matarelli bobbin holder (and several others) for ~40 years, the plastic bobbins would be less likely to damage your bobbin holder. I put all threads on small bobbins because when I started tying the thread spools came in odd sizes that didn't fit well in the bobbin holder, or so I thought. I have a 2" long piece of wood dowel that fits tightly in the sm bobbin and I turn it with a battery drill motor. 20-50 spools of thread take up a lot less space on bobbins than on spools. Only down side is the labels are all gone now and all I know about the threads are what I can see- color, approximate size, and know that nylon is the only material I recall buying. I really don't think the fish cares about the manufacturer anyway....

I want to split some pearsall floss for tying. I split about 6 feet no problem, so I think I can split it in to 20' long pieces or so. But I dont have any empty spools. And the plastic sewing bobbins have a notch I dont want to run on my renzetti bobbin and score the spool holder. And ideas for spools to hold floss that's split into 6 or 9 strands?

Hi robbor,

We use a LOT of Danville thread and have many empty spools. Send your mailing address to my email address ([email protected]) and I'll send you a couple. Be sure to put "Request Spools" in the subject line so I don't accidentally delete your email. Take care & ...