Fly Tying
FreshH20

Hooks Index & Cross Reference

I'm new to this, forum stuff and fly tying. Does anyone know of a hook index that would cross reference most of the hooks used in tying. Going into the fly shop and looking for a Partridge 847 in a size 16, 2x long, (fly shop doesn't carry Partridge hooks) although they do carry Mustad, Umpqua, Gamakatsu, Daiichi, etc., you get what I am talking about. It's weird, I can't seem to find a reference anywhere. Second thing is, a person new to tying really isn't going to know the difference between a nymph hook, scud hook to a dry fly hook.

I'm new to this, forum stuff and fly tying. Does anyone know of a hook index that would cross reference most of the hooks used in tying. Going into the fly shop and looking for a Partridge 847 in a size 16, 2x long, (fly shop doesn't carry Partridge hooks) although they do carry Mustad, Umpqua, Gamakatsu, Daiichi, etc., you get what I am talking about. It's weird, I can't seem to find a reference anywhere. Second thing is, a person new to tying really isn't going to know the difference between a nymph hook, scud hook to a dry fly hook.

Welcome to the forum.

Correct hook style can be a never ending quest.

There are members building a database but not sure if operational.

To get started on basics, Jann's has a printable chart on their website. I find it useful... Then I go to catalogues and try to compare brands from model to model

Hook and Hackle has one too that features H&H hooks vs. Tiemco and Mustad. The old H&H site had a more generic cross reference, but that was years ago, before they started carrying their own brand.

Don't fall into the trap of hook labels either. Dry, wet, nymph etc. So long as the wire is of a thickness appropriate for the Tippet you can tie on any hook you think suits the patterns you want.

So long as the wire is of a thickness appropriate for the Tippet

thats a new one. do you have a chart for this wire diameter to tippet size?

Check out flyhooks.org too. Great site for hook reference. Eide, who owns that site & has put together all that information is a member here & other fly fishing sites.

I'm not sure what Piker20 means by that either, but agree that "labels" don't always provide the best indication of what a hook might be used for, particularly "dry fly" labelled hooks or sometimes the actual size. Now, whether the tippet you use will go thru the hook eye, that's something that might need to be considered. For example, it's not likely a 20 lb tippet is going thru the eye of a size 20 hook. I don't know why anyone would try that, but I've seen 2/0 hooks labeled incorrectly as "2" or even "20". Be sure of the difference & what you need.

flyhooks.org

FreshH20, The amount of "stuff" you have to learn in fly fishing and fly tying is daunting made even more confusing by the fact that the names of things are not standardized and if that isn't bad enough, everyone wants to use acronyms in referencing things. Oh yeah, throw in a bit of Latin when identifying insects ( I actually prefer this one). At least you are sure of which insect you are talking about.

I use the "hand grenade" method mostly. Close enough is good enough!

You do have to know the difference between a scud hook and a dry fly hook though!

Its all a part of the journey! Have fun!

Hooks for the Fly - William E. Schmidt - google it... or amazon it... or Barnes and Nobel it....etc...

BCT

I did get to take a look at this book. It is great book on hooks, types and uses.