Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tctrout

Gartside's Gurgler Variation

Here's a version of the Gartside Gurgler that's been productive for me over the years. I'd love to hear some of your variations to this pattern, too, as I'm sure there are many!

Tim

Nice!

Thanks!

Nice Tim. What are you targeting with these ? Smallies ?

You must have missed that part in the video...but I target smallies, largemouth, bluegills, perch, stripers, and trout with this pattern. The trout and stripers are targeted differently than the others.

Tim, what would be the same type hook in a mustad?

Hi Steven, and I'm unsure of an exact match. Vary the body length based on the type of species you're chasing. I've switched to these Hanak streamer hooks for most larger patterns (especially articulated streamers) and have fallen in love with them.

Tim

Noticed you put S H on the thread and then hand whip finished. How to you keep your hands clean?

Just curious.

Rick

Good question, Rick, and I place the SH further up by the eye. I quickly rub it into the thread (and much gets absorbed), then as I whip finish, I am only touching the outer thread. So I do touch the SH, but such a small amount that I can rub my fingers together and it's gone.

Tim