Fly Tying
Gooseberry

Trico Nymph Pattern

seine your local river for nymphs and copy the real thing!

something i found while surfing

The Silt Crawlers, consist of species from the genera Tricorythodes (US) and Caenis. These are the smallest mayflies; the nymphs grow to between 3 and 6mm. They have small gills on top of the abdomen, and three tails. They are poor swimmers but have good camouflage. They can be found in both rivers and lakes where they crawl along the bottom feeding on algae and plant debris. These nymphs crawl from the water to hatch so that fishing a nymph pattern is of questionable worth.

Gooseberry

I agree with bwo3 that the pheasant-tail is a good nymph pattern and the RS-2 is a good emerger pattern for Tricos in general. My favorite is Swisher and Richard's little brown nymph:

hook size: 20-28

tails: tan hen hackle fibers

body: dark brown rabbit

wingpads: a clump of dark mole

legs: as tail

Easy to tie and very effective just prior to the hatch. (I sometimes substitute ostrich for the dark mole.)

Trico nymph research:

I dredged up some trico nymphs from streamside vegetation for examination. Trico nymphs lived near stream banks in weeds, watercress, etc. I found them to be best tied on size 22 and 24 hooks. I'm sure a PT or RS2 would work fine, but being a stickler for all the advantage I can get, I used the dubbing mix recipe found in a book written by Bob Miller: "Tricos." I used his mix for the abdomen and thorax, thin brown thread, copper wire etc. for the ribbing, natural goose for the wing case and picked out the dubbing for legs. I think I used brownish woodduck fibers for the tail. The nymph worked great fished as a regular point fly on a 2-fly nymph rig or as a trailer dropped off the bend of a trico spinner or micro caddis size fly. Regardless of what the experts say about fishing nymphs and emergers during the trico hatch they do work. On the nymph rig I used a trico emerger for the dropper, the fly closest to me, and tied the nymph on the very end of my tippet or point.