Fly Tying
Mokai

Timed Exposures....

I am a big fan of timed exposures..I thought it would be nice to have a place we can post them here so we can all learn from each other on styles and technique..

The McKenzie River just at dark...

# Camera model: NIKON D40

# Focal length: 18.0mm (35mm equivalent: 27mm)

# Exposure time: 20.000 s

# Aperture: f/4.0

# ISO equiv.: 200

# Exposure bias: -0.67

# Whitebalance: Manual

# Metering Mode: matrix

# Exposure: Manual

# Tripod Mounted

# #4 ND filter

IPB Image

Nice shot Mokai.

Long exposures are something I really havent tried yet other than a few attempts at star trails. One of those area I keep thinking about but dont get off my backside to go do :)

Not quite what your looking for but

2.5 seconds,

f14,

18mm with a CP on

iso 100,

underexposed about 2/3rd

IPB Image

I don't really have any experience with long exposures, but I've been experimenting a little with the river out back under various lighting situations, just to get some kind of handle on it. It's been challenging, to say the least. I don't usually keep track of technical data (I'm confused enough as it is) but these were shot with a Canon 5D, 24/104mm lens at 105mm, f/22. Exposure were between 1/2 sec. and 1sec.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Great pictures guys. I do like the colored shots. But there is something special with the black and white shots also.

Jim

Nice images guys, I like them all. I really like the silky cotton candy look with moving water. To me it looks beautiful. I'll find and post some photos taken this year, got a bunch in the Adirondacks this summer. Some people, like my wife, don't like the look of it, says "it doesn't natural, thats not how the river looked on our trip". lol... And I say, next time, take your own pictures...lol..

Cool this thread got pinned ..

These are some great shots..These are the kind of shots I have really been enjoying as of late..

Camera: Kodak Easyshare Dx7630

Shutter: 1/8

Apeture: 5.6

ISO: Auto

IPB Image

Sorry, can't put a circular polarizer on this camera...

IPB Image

Silky shallow water!

IPB Image

Took last winter, but a bit overexposed. It had a shutter speed of 1/2 sec. That plus handshake = :(

My first try at timed exposures ever...from my trip to India.

Sorry for that ugly timestamp, it was taken last year, when I didn't know how to turn it off. I don't remember the setting for this photo...

IPB Image

I have to wait til I get a DSLR before I can do the longer exposures and get better pics...so I can actually use a filter!

Frogfish, this isn't meant as criticism, so please don't take it as such, but the key to making good images is finding the right kind of light. If they're used properly, polarizers will cut glare and darken skies, but they won't necessarily prevent overexposure. There are plenty of people out there with expensive DSLRs and a bagfull of filters who are blowing out highlights hand over fist. My guess is that you can do great things with the camera you have. I made the image below with a pocket camera that cost just over $100.

IPB Image

They were all bright light conditions, so there was no hope from the beginning :P

Maybe I shoulda tweaked the ISO...