Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bullhead

Stealth Bomber?

Hi, before investing a cutter for this foam pattern, can anyone describe how it works for you? Looking at tying it on a mustad 3366 size two. Suggestions appreciated. Thanks

I second Flytire. Much cheaper and easier to cut the foam with your scissors. It appears to be a single strip of foam tied down at the front and back of the hook. The back folded over and tied down to form the tail, with the front folded back over it to form the head, nothing really complicated. You can build a taper when you cut it for the head portion. Once you cut the first piece to your liking, then use it as a template for the rest of your bodies.

Thanks guys, I can cut the foam. Does the fly wobble and dive? I am looking for the zig-zag action that the old Bass-O-Reno has

I've never fished it, or even tied one. Going to add a couple to my warm water box and give them a shot. It's supposed to dive and wiggle. Given the head shape it should dive, wiggle don't know. You could always fish it off and intermediate line or a sink tip line if it doesn't perform with a floating line. Probably be best to use a fluorocarbon leader with it.

For the wiggle and dive I usually fish some sort of dahlberg dinner variant, or this articulated baitfish fly I came up with that has a deer hair head and a ep type baitfish body.

For the wiggle and dive I usually fish some sort of dahlberg dinner variant, or this articulated baitfish fly I came up with that has a deer hair head and a ep type baitfish body.

I'm thinking meat & potatoes...hmm is that variant similar to a dahlberg diver?

Haha that's what it should've said, my phones predictive text sucks, I'm on my second referb now and for some reason it also likes to skip letters in words or just create spaces in a word, very frustrating.

Another pattern you may be interested in is the Wiggle Bug.

It floats, dives and swims like a flatfish lure when stripped.

There was a company ("Edgewater"?) that used to provide a variety of interesting foam fly tying products such as pre-shaped diver heads, popper heads, etc. They marketed "wiggle bug" kits which included the foam bodies, hooks and instructions for a small batch. Without the kits, making the bodies isn't that hard, though you do need to get the proportions close and the hole fairly well centered for the fly to swim correctly.

I have tied and used this pattern before and it worked well for me on bass and panfish. If I remember I tied them smaller in black as just a trial, size 6 or 8 something like that, with a black foam body and if I remember right just bucktail and a little flash for the tail.

They basically act as a Dahlberg Diver without the time commitment to tie them, so if you lose one tossing into cover it's no big deal. Now that I have seen this post I plan on tying some more cause I had forgot about them but I did enjoy fishing them and for a bonus they are easy and quick to tie and modify.

Jamie