Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
thorgrim

Re-newed fly tyer

Hi folks!

I'm new to this forum (looks great, by the way), but not new to tying flies. When I was younger I tied mostly panfish and bass flies and bugs using a series of really poorly-made vices. I'm starting my late 60's now and finally live where it makes sense to learn how to fish for trout, too. I'm in "upper east" TN, and if I get the bug again bad enough I'll be looking at some trips to western NC. There's a lot of good fishing here, but I've always been a lake fisherman along with a little bit of fishing for smallmouth, largemouth and rock bass. I have a lot to learn.

My plans are to buy flies to get started (and I nearly have what I need), then get set up to tie my own after I have a better idea of what works for me here - meanwhile, I can be learning a bit about theory and technique as well as reading reviews on vises and tools. The internet's a wonderful thing to a guy whose tying gear usually came from Herter's, and their low-end at that. I'll mostly lurk for a while until I know enough to ask pertinent questions - if my questions haven't already been answered and I imagine that at this stage they have, I'll just need to search for them.

The buy/sell forum will be of particular interest as I progress, at my age I can't see buying new if I can find good used equipment. I try to not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

Welcome to the site, Thorgrim. I hope you find every answer you need here.

The "Trading Floor" section can be a great tool. You can post "want to buy" request there, immediately. You have to have 40 posts listed before you can sell anything.

Lurk all you want ... but don't hesitate to ask questions.

There's a lot of members who don't (for whatever reason) participate much. However, they need help and actually have questions they ... don't know how to ask. You're questions will probably help more people than any of us will ever know.