Fly Tying
despatiesim

Tube size for billfish Nd saltwater flies?

Hi all, does anybody have experience tying billfish and baitfish paterns on tubes? Any recomendations on tube size to use? I'm new at tubes, and not sure how the large hooks I intend to use will interact with the tubes I tie on or the keeper tubes. My intention is to ties 10 to 12 inch billfish flies with a tandem hook rig of 8/0 and 6/0 hooks. And baitfish paterns 5 to 6 inches long, with 4/0 hooks. Aiming at billfish and dorado.

Any insight as to tube size, brands and tandem rigging would be most welcome! Is large (3mm) sufficent? Do I need inserts? Or just a keeper tube? I'm new at the tube game.

thanks!

You may want to research the "Trimble Shark Fly". Never tied some but a buddy gave me some a few years back. They don't look difficult and I think they may be what you are looking for.

Same sizes as would be used for pike and musky. I like these tubes for my predator flies tied in the sizes you mention (10'-12").

http://www.lundsflyshop.com/Magnum_Predator_Tube_p/4710.htm

Yes the 3mm will also be fine if they are more readily available to you.

I use silicone tubing for my junction tubing, it expands and holds any hook eye diameter. Surgical tubing can also be used if you can find it in the proper diameter ID.