Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bigsky2

Stonfo Dubbing Brush Machine

I use one and yes, you can use it for making larger dubbing brushes. It's not a bad setup and does the job. What's nice is the tray drops out so you can spin the material freely. It's certainly not as solid of a platform as some the homemade wooden machines but it's a lot less expensive if you're like myself and don't have the tools to construct your own. It's 10x better than the method I was using, which involved a drill and the top of a shoebox.

There are a couple things you should be aware of. First, unless you have a Stonfo vise you will need the Stonfo Turbo Spinner as well. You need something to actually spin the wire as the table itself doesn't do that. Second (and this is a big one), MOST vices will work but if the head of your vise is a long distance from the shaft this table may not work for you. The support arm is of finite length and I'm honestly not sure if it would work on something like a regal. With my direct experience, Renzetti is no problem and my Dyna-King works only when I adjust the jaws into a funky angle. Once I have it set up it's not a problem at all but IMO this is something where you'll want to crank out a number of brushes once you get it set up as it does take a couple minutes.

Beyond the more expensive, handmade dubbing brush tables I've seen I think this is the best alternative option out there.

I have made my own brush's on a homemade table to see if it was something i could easily accomplish, and yes i could. so now i am looking into getting the proper set up in hopes that it will streamline my process a bit.

i found FTD is the place to purchase materials to experiment with based on cost...