Fly Tying

FTF Fly Challenge: Foam

The new FTF Fly Challenge is any pattern that incorporates foam. Doesn't have to be something you tied recently or even a unique variation that you dreamed up yourself.

Post a pattern this month and you will be entered into a random drawing for one of three prizes.

post-30681-0-45548300-1325784128_thumb.jpgpost-30681-0-33168400-1325784177_thumb.jpgpost-30681-0-57599000-1325784197_thumb.jpgpost-30681-0-33854600-1325784222_thumb.jpgpost-30681-0-47688300-1325784245_thumb.jpgpost-30681-0-88904200-1325784273_thumb.jpgpost-30681-0-53847200-1325784302_thumb.jpg

Sign me up, I love playing with foam and have discovered a lot of different applications so I hope you don't mind several submissions.

Franken Fish made with 6mm sheet foam.

DSC_0981-1.jpg

Franken Fish made with 6mm sheet foam.

DSC_8854-1.jpg

Divers made from foam cylinders.

DSC_0548-1.jpg

Bream bugs made with glued together 2mm sheet foam.

PopperSwapII-7641-1.jpg

Bream diver made with "spider" body impaled on to hook eye.

DSC_1512-2.jpg

Simple foam cylinder bass bug - killer!

fmpoppr1.jpg

The Franken Fish is great. Does it sound like a small cat when it's winging by your ear? I also really like your impaled spider body diver. Got my wheels turning for applications here. Nice flies!

Here's one from a while back - woven foam bee. I also interwove some peacock herl to give a little texture to the abdomen.

Enjoy.

post-3964-0-57982600-1325901555_thumb.jpg

Deeky

The Franken Fish is great. Does it sound like a small cat when it's winging by your ear? I also really like your impaled spider body diver. Got my wheels turning for applications here. Nice flies!

My first prototype made out of balsa gave me tennis elbow. The foam ones pictured above cast fine on a 7wt but it took about 8 prototypes of varying sizes to get to that one. It works great on bass and holds up fine but the redfish tear it apart, so, back to the drawing board to make one that will hold up to the reds cause they charged from five to ten feet away to inhale it but at one per fish, reds ain't seeing these for a while.

Great looking bee Deeky.

Kirk

I am gonna go ahead and do it but it might not be the correct type of foam ;)

imgp0427j.jpg

A little egg pattern tied with McFlyFoam.

Also a midge I tied using foam split around the wings.

imgp0397i.jpg

Kirk, your foam cylinder bass bug, how do you get it to stop spinning on the hook? I have played with the foam pencil floats that they use on the west coast.

Marc

Kirk, your foam cylinder bass bug, how do you get it to stop spinning on the hook? I have played with the foam pencil floats that they use on the west coast.

Marc

Marc, that particular popper is tied on a Mustad 33903 kink shank hook. I slit the bottom of the foam and put thick formula superglue in the slot and squeeze the slot closed for a minute and set aside to dry.

However, I often use non-kink shank hooks and have no problem. Only difference is I tie a base of open spiraled thread on the smooth hook shank and glue in the same way. Never had one spin. Many people push the hook through a hole in the cylinder, I prefer cutting a slot to ensure good glue coverage.

That particular bug caught two dozen bass the following day and did not come unglued or spin.

Kirk