Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

MI Trout Opener??

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 flyrod4steelhead

flyrod4steelhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 09:03 PM

Just wondering if and where some of you will be heading for the trout opener? If it has not already opened of course!!

We will be heading to the parents cabin (NW--MI) where I will be rowing my son, in hopes of him land a few browns, maybe a steelie or two. Thanks to another member of the board, we will not be forced to walk, like I was thinking we would be. But me walking will probally happen for the evening on a different river wink.gif

So if your are floating a NW Michigan river Saturday and see a "younger" guy with a youngster at the front, stop and say HI. We will be starting bright and early, probally half hour to 1hr before daylight.

#2 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I see everything!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,571 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 09:11 PM

Dale i'll be on the au sable below foote dam lookin for some steelhead myself,usally i spend the opener ethier in grayling or below mio lookin for some browns & rainbows but since i haven't had a chance to get out steelheading this year since january i'm gonna take advantage of a "smaller" crowd at the more popular steelie locations.

Good luck to ya hope you and your boy have a good float.

SD
Posted Image
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#3 Dornug

Dornug

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 21 April 2004 - 10:08 PM

(^#($^@(&*#(&@#& WORKING. bs.gif help.gif
Fly fishing is like sex. The first time is never like you thought it would be, but you never forget it. You get better with experience. You think about it alot. You do it when ever you can until you die. You always have fun no matter what.
....JStarbrite....

#4 riverboy

riverboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 06:06 AM

I'm heading up to the Ausable. Camping probably at Canoe Harbour on the South Branch or maybe Keystone on the Mainstem. Im heading up late friday morning so I can get camp set up and be fishing by 2. Saturday morning I plan on floating possibly the South Branch, depending on water conditions. I have to be home saturday late afternoon because of a buddys bachlor party, so the weekend will be kind of cut short for me. sad.gif

Im really looking forward to the seasons first camping trip. smile.gif

#5 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 08:39 AM

I hope you guys have fun and the weather cooperates.

Can't wait to read the reports. I'll be up next week for sure.
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#6 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I see everything!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,571 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 05:21 PM

Ralph your not hitting the opener? bugeyes.gif shocking.gif
Posted Image
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#7 riverboy

riverboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 05:27 AM

change in plans! Im now hitting the upper Manistee!!

#8 flyfishenvy

flyfishenvy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 02:18 PM

we were supposed to head up to the NW this weekend, but the guys i am going with decided to put in for a turkey permit for this weekend on the NE side. bunch of morons!! sad.gif

anyways, we are heading up to glennie and are going to try to find some smaller water that is hopefully untouched. one guy has some relatives up there and they have given him some good info so far.

maybe i can even fool a few of the trout with some fur and feathers.

cant wait

#9 northern_outdoorsman

northern_outdoorsman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 04:08 PM

QUOTE (Dornug @ Apr 21 2004, 11:07 PM)
(^#($^@(&*#(&@#& WORKING. bs.gif help.gif

Same here...I have to WORK! crying.gif BUT...I will be on a local stream 1st light...CAN'T MISS THE OPENER!!!!!!!!! headbang.gif

#10 stel

stel

Salmon bum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 10:28 PM

Man this sucks. The time is going by sooooo slow. 10 minutes and I am out the door to fish at 12:01 and see if I can get that first trout of the year. I've never fished this place before so I hope others don't have the same thing in mind unsure.gif

Will report when I get back

#11 northern_outdoorsman

northern_outdoorsman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 11:29 PM

Well things change fast...I'm going after Walleyes when I get out of work tonight at 1am...The trout stream will have to wait til Sunday morning... cool.gif

#12 Sippy

Sippy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 12:29 AM

I'm planning on hitting a local stream early on Sunday morning.biggrin.gif I went and hiked around there today in anticipation and to day dream. kicking.gif
You can spend a fortune on premium feathers and it doesn't mean you'll tie a perfect fly. It just means you have the materials from a good looking chicken.

#13 Shoe

Shoe

Bellied up to a Sand Bar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,181 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 07:14 AM

Not knockin' ya Dan, but what's the fascination with hitting it in the middle of the night? To me you really can't appreciate the beauty of our rivers or much less see where ya casting.

I remember an Opener several years back. I was camped at Tawas and wanted to hit some tribs of the EBOTAG. One of the guys spotted plenty of steelhead the day before and the anticipation of hitting them first thing in the morning kept me up most of the night. We arrived around 6am only to find several smoldering campfires, litter all over the place and the fish were gone. Kinda sad that a few guys have such a low respect for the resource that they raped the stream in just a few hours and left it looking like shit. It really left a bad taste in my mouth. mad.gif sad.gif bs.gif
I know where they live, I know what they eat. Now it's time to fool them with thread, feathers and roadkill.

#14 stel

stel

Salmon bum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 11:10 AM

Well Ralf, i've been waiting in anticipation all fall, and winter long to fish this stream. I mean real anxious. I wanted to fish all night long into the mournin hours but my sickness was not going to allow that. Plus I had my mom saying on the phone "don't stay out to long." The parents are also suppose to be up here a few hour ago so that was my only window of oppurtunity to get a little fishing in before they get up here. Plus, the streams not that beutiful: it's right next to the city.

Another thing is I love fishing at night. Also I could just imagine the river is getting pounded right now. It's not that large of a river, probaby 10 feet across and the deepest is probably 2 feet deep. I was hoping to find one of them hog browns I hear people talkin about or the brookies in there. It didn't happen rolleyes.gif