Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Trout fishing in Wyoming/Montana

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 midwestfisherman

midwestfisherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 11:49 PM

I am planning a trip for the summer of 2005 to Wyoming/Montana to do some fishing. We'll be in the Yellowstone area for sure. My wife and I will be doing some exploring and photography of Yellowstone.

I'm looking for some suggestions of where to fish and some guides and/or flyshops to contact while I am there. I am planning on being there for 2 weeks so I want to hook up with a guide for at least several days while I am there.

I would also like to do a bit of exploring of some rivers/streams by myself.

Thanks

#2 Lance Kekel

Lance Kekel

Adored by fish feared by women!...no wait a minute, fish adore..I mean, women..feared.......oh forget it!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 06 September 2004 - 12:01 PM

Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone is a great shop. They're extremely helpful, and Craig Matthews(owner) is originally from MI. As for fishing the park As long you get there after the cuttthroat season opens up if I had to recommend one spot in the park it would be to hike up Slough creek and fish one of the meadow sections. Great scenery and great fishing! If you want numbers, fish one of the small streams like Obsideon crk, Panther crk or the Upper Gardner. You can't keep the brookies off your line. smile.gif
Lance Kekel

Get me on the water!!

#3 midwestfisherman

midwestfisherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 09:52 AM

Lance, thanks for the info. I'll check them out.

Anyone else?

#4 Irish

Irish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 02:55 PM

Bob Jacklin in West Yellowstone is a very good one as is Kelly Galloup. I know Bob from the Federation of Fly Fishers

In Jackson, Wyoming I would look up Jack Dennis fly shop and Jeff Courier should be able to take care of you.

Irish

[B][FONT=Geneva][SIZE=1]"Sometimes the fish bite and sometimes they don't" John Likakis

#5 3wt

3wt

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 09 September 2004 - 05:32 PM

I'm a small stream guy and I went out to Montana last fall beginning of October. Fished the Lamar and Soda Butte area. Based myself out of the Cooke City area. Good access into Yellowstone,and the Beartooths for some lake and small stream fishing. The scenery is outstanding and it offers pletny of restaurants, etc. I'll see if I can dig up the guide info and post it for you.

#6 kispiox2keys

kispiox2keys

Bait Fisherman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 September 2004 - 10:50 PM

You're going to have a great time.

Summer is a pretty broad time-span. When, specifically, are you planning on being in Yellowstone? There's a world of difference between Memorial Day weekend and Labor day weekend, and a lot of options in between. Runoff can be a major issue in the NE part of the park well into June, depending on snowpack, etc. The firehole can fish wonderfully early, but gets way too warm later in the summer. You'll be able to get a lot more accurate information if you can narrow your trip window down to a the two weeks if you have an idea of when you'll be there.

As previously mentioned, Craig Matthews and Kelly Galloup are both great guys and both have excellent shops, guides, info. I'd also recommend Bud Lilly's Trout Shop in West - just down the street from Blue Ribbon. Kelly's right on the Madison at Slide Inn about 25 miles from West.

Also, it may make a slight difference if your wife will be fishing WITH you, or if she will be watching you fish. Where does fishing rank in the list of priorities for the TWO of you?

#7 TroutBum

TroutBum

Father Time is my brother

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,047 posts

Posted 14 September 2004 - 10:30 AM

All good advice, but if you're going to be in West Yellowstone you must go to the Henry's Fork at least one day. Last Chance, ID is only about 50 miles southwest of Yellowstone. There isn't anything better than having a 20"+ Rainbow sipping #18 dry fly.
Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
IPB Image
IPB Image

#8 midwestfisherman

midwestfisherman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 September 2004 - 11:21 PM

Looks like July is the month for next summer.