Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Best Fall Runs?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,500 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 02:30 PM

It seems that we are all getting excited and gearing upfor the fall runs. What is your guys' favorite desination and species to persue during the fall?

I would have to say that Erie,PA in the fall for Steel just can't be beat! For anyone who has been to Erie in the fall knows it can be the biggest circus on earth. I would have to say it ranks amongst the densest population of anglers per square foot of stream on earth. Along with the crowds the Erie streams couldn't possibly get anymore thick with fish. It's not uncommon for people to have 20 to 30 fish days and these are 5lb+ Steelhead!

Last year I went on a trip by myself the first weekend of November. That weekend I learned a few tricks that will give you almost all of these thousands of fish all to yourself wink.gif

Erie is my top pick, what's yours?

test

#2 Pujic

Pujic

Browns? Where?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 02:34 PM

The Oak, right Graham? wink.gif

Canadian Fly Fisher - Canada's Leading Fly Fishing Magazine
http://www.canflyfish.com

#3 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

I see everything!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,576 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 02:55 PM

heres a shocker rolleyes.gif wink.gif

Pere Marquette Salmon, nothing like 30 fish all over 3ft long in front of you all day long on a 30 foot wide stream...dosent get any better than that headbang.gif

SD
Posted Image
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#4 stel

stel

Salmon bum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 04:53 PM

Even though the fishing is nothing like it was a few years ago, so I have been told, I would still have to say oscoda. This is the place where I basically started fishing for about every fall, winter, and spring run fish. To me there is nothing better then casting into the dark with a little cleo.

#5 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,500 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 04:55 PM

Stel I would be interested in trying a "little cleo" fly.......do you have any pictures and tying instructions rolleyes.gif

test

#6 stel

stel

Salmon bum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 05:21 PM

wallbash.gif Mooning-Smilie.gif crutch.gif wheelchair.gif whistling1.gif

#7 Steelie Junkie

Steelie Junkie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 September 2004 - 07:10 PM

Currently, we're getting dumped on by the remants of hurricane Francis. Its been a steady rainfall all day. I wouldn't be surprised that some fish will start staging of the rivers. I'm sure that fish will be caught in the lower sections. It's too warm yet to see a major run. I usually don't go until late October/November when the colder weather keeps the fairweather anglers on the couch. I've talked to several guys from PA and there are fish hanging around the Walnut, Elk and Trout Run. Most of them are being caught at night and when the sun comes up they head back to deeper water.

My favorite place in the fall is Connueat creek. The Connie is doesn't get the heavy fishing pressure of western PA steelhead streams. This fall I'll be fishing the Catt, I've heard they get a great fall run.