Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Willie Rip

Modern Mickey Finn

I ... am ... confused.

Nothing you did on that fly is actually IN the video.

Every move you made is hidden behind the disc. I also can't imagine actually fishing that. The size of that disc has got to make the whole thing spin like a top.

I, normally, like your videos. This one ... not a fan.

Yeah, it isn't for everyone, and it isn't meant for casting. My clients keep buying them, so I keep making them. It isn't any harder to fish than any huge saltwater fly. Remember I'm not a fly fisherman, so I don't hold to any convention of what a "fly" should look like or how it "should" function.

I should have used the 24mm lens instead of the 50mm lens. I figure getting in closer would make it easier to see, but not really. My fly tying desk in up against a wall, so it's hard to get that 90 degree, perpendicular view. Still I needed to get another video out this week, and let the client know that his order was on my desk at the moment. 35mm lens would be better. I wonder if I should throw my 70mm Canon FD lens on and use the macro function for a good close up.

Keep in mind that this lure--lure is a far more appropriate label--appeals greatly to crappie and bass fishermen who use lipped crank baits all the time. They look at a typical streamer with the same distrust that you look at this fly. They think, "That thing doesn't impart any kind of action or sound, I couldn't imagine fishing with that. The lack of a lip has to make it move in a total straight line. No fish is going to bite that!"

Different culture, man. Different culture.

I think its cool looking. I think the biggest problem with casting a fly with that big disc would be wind resistance. If using as s fly I would just go with a much smaller disc, but I could see how that bigger disc would be the way to when trolling.

The biggest problem with the video is the angle of the camera. A head on view would be much better if your work area allowed for it

I've been able to cast it with a 7 wt. 8 or 9 wt would be better, basically saltwater territory. Lots of wind resistance, like epic. Again not a problem with traditional spinning gear and such that cast big lipped, wind resistant crankbaits all the time.

Yeah, I hate this camera angle as well. My desk is right up again a wall. Can't get a perpendicular view, but I may be able to get a better view around the other side with the 70-210mm lens set to macro. Since I have to make a set of pink and purple trolling flies for the same client, I'll try to reshoot the video next week. The angle around the other side should prove a good bit better.

On other thing This disc isn't any different than the weighted discs that tube fly fishermen use:

http://www.canadiantubeflies.com/flytying-ultralight-monster-cone-heads.html

Way more out there than what we're used to.