Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Saltybum

I got what on what!

Just got back from my trip to NC. Started by visiting my brother in Raleigh area.

He took me to the Harris Res. for top water bass. He's throwing his rubber frog and I'm using my 9wt to throw my deer hair mouse I tied about a year ago (changed the tail to rabbit first). Besides he tells me there's some jumbo large mouths in this lake. Big bait...big fish.

Pow! Fish on. Not big but my first on the mouse and this rod I built.

????? Crappie? Yepper. Musta bin reel hungry. Did cat a large mouth but small.

From there we went on to the west and the mountains where the rains came and came and turned most waters unfishable. Right before the rains I got one afternoon on the Mills river with a 16 year old friend. He hooked a nice trout on a dry right in front of him. It got off but now he's hooked on small mtn. streams away from everything.

I did find a mtn. lake later that produced a few browns on a green wooly bugger.for dinner.

The rains and high water did make the waterfalls dynamic however. All in all had a good time.

Yes I hit a few pubs/breweries in Asheville too.

post-44758-0-20376400-1527457147_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-40409000-1527457156_thumb.jpg

post-44758-0-60912700-1527457371_thumb.jpg

Happy to hear you had a good time. Yeah, the water has been too high, turbid, and fast to fish for about 10 days. Still raining and forecast to rain all week. It makes fishing a real challenge sometimes. but there is a huge reward. We live with all these beautiful forests, waterfalls, and a bio-diversity that is unique to the entire world. And, since this area has never been glaciated, flooded, or burned into oblivion, botanists agree that seeds and spores from the Smoky Mountains, Southern Appalachians have re-forested the earth four times over. It is a remarkable place. Too bad all the fish have migrated to Colorado. Glad you enjoyed your visit

That's a big crappie! Raleigh is surrounded by water, but the fishing is only so-so. Sharon Harris is one of the better producing impoundments. Glad you had a good time.

Yes, biodiversity. Everything was alive and blooming just adding more to the beauty up there.

Got to go back again and fish more. Wife got Asheville down town for two days then a third at Builtmore.

Next trip it swings more my way. AND be a lot less costly.